Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Engine Motor Failure Replacement TSB 10-048 Used Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skobydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Motor Failure Replacement TSB 10-048 Used Car

I have a 2007 Civic EX with catastrophic engine failure. From my understanding TSB 10-048 may be good for 10 years.

I just bought the car used. Also, it's a reconstructed title. It's really close to 10 years old. Does anyone know if there's a chance in hell that at least a portion of fixing this would be covered? If not, any ballpark figures on the cost to fix this from the dealer?

I drove the car 12 hours away to let my daughter use it and now it's junk.
Old 09-12-2016
Registered!!

Re: Engine Motor Failure Replacement TSB 10-048 Used Car

Can someone tell me how to determine what 2009's were effected? I'm looking for a used engine right now. Thanks
Old 09-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skobydog
I have a 2007 Civic EX with catastrophic engine failure. From my understanding TSB 10-048 may be good for 10 years.

I just bought the car used. Also, it's a reconstructed title. It's really close to 10 years old. Does anyone know if there's a chance in hell that at least a portion of fixing this would be covered? If not, any ballpark figures on the cost to fix this from the dealer?

I drove the car 12 hours away to let my daughter use it and now it's junk.
Have your dealer check your VIN to see if it may be covered.

What was the engine failure caused by?
The bulletin only addresses one very specific failure cause.

Google the bulletin so you can read the wording... And be aware that bulletin has been revised a few times over the years, what you find on google may not be the latest version.

A dealer may price you the same job using all brand new parts if warranty doesn't cover yours, or they may price installing a used engine as an option. If they don't offer that right away, ask them to price it.

You (or a shop) can buy a used engine and install it, doesn't have to be at a dealership if warranty is not covering it. I'd try to get an engine from a 2010 or 2011 car though.
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Have your dealer check your VIN to see if it may be covered.

What was the engine failure caused by?
The bulletin only addresses one very specific failure cause.

Google the bulletin so you can read the wording... And be aware that bulletin has been revised a few times over the years, what you find on google may not be the latest version.

A dealer may price you the same job using all brand new parts if warranty doesn't cover yours, or they may price installing a used engine as an option. If they don't offer that right away, ask them to price it.

You (or a shop) can buy a used engine and install it, doesn't have to be at a dealership if warranty is not covering it. I'd try to get an engine from a 2010 or 2011 car though.
The problem is the car is 12 hours away. I let my daughter use it for a few months and it blew up on her. It's also a salvage title so I'm pretty sure it's not covered by the dealer but I'll give a call anyway.

Of course, the first garage I called says "bring it and we'll look at it" "how do you know it needs an engine" "we don't use engines brought into us but we can try to locate one for you"

I could tell it was a woman sitting behind a desk taking appointments and not a real mechanic. I hate talking to someone in a service station who doesn't know anything about cars.

The only way I'll have this fixed is if it's the motor of my choice (2010 or 2011) or I'm not wasting my time.
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

According to Honda I'm within two weeks of the 10 year warranty except the salvage title part. The service guy said there was a California number he had to call.

We'll see but I'm not very confident this is going to happen.
Old 09-13-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

If honda is willing to do anything it will require verification by a honda dealer. They will only cover it if the engine died due to overheating caused by coolant loss due to a cracked block. That is the only circumstance that honda covers with that warranty extension.

But, it is clearly stated that ANY car with a branded/salvage title is NOT covered by the warranty extension. But the final decision will always be made by honda.
Old 09-13-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Salvage title is a deal killer. I hope you bought at steep discount (at least half of retail value for an identical non-salvage titled car)......

Hopefully discounted far enough to cover the cost of an engine replacement.
Old 09-14-2016
Registered!!

Called 1st garage and I get a woman receptionist who likely has never turned a wrench in her life............waste of time.

Called a Honda dealer in close to my daughter and spoke with a receptionist again who probably has never turned a wrench.............frustrating and waste of time.

Found a bunch of online scrap yards with motors for $800 (shipped) all with 80K - 100K.

Called another garage and actually spoke with a mechanic. He gave an estimate of $800 install plus any additional fluids ($800 motor + $800 install + tax).

Finally called a scrap yard in her area. Scrap yard guy says "I have one but I gotta get $700, it's from a 2010 and only has 80K". Then he asks if I have anyone to put it in. He then he says to me "we put them in". I ask how much and he says $500. Then he says he'll tow it there for $40 and get started on it today.

We talked for awhile. Turns out he's been in business for over 20 years and deals strictly on Hondas. He says to me he'll have the 2010 motor pulled today and offers to have my daughter see it before he pulls it.

He finishes by telling me it should be done Friday. I ask how much deposit and he wants and he says "pay me when we're done". Cool guy, we bullshitted for awhile too.

So, with car towed, tax, and 2010 80K motor installed the bill comes out to $1354.00. He gave my daughter the written invoice with all charges and taxes. So, considering I'm 12 hours away I can't complain. Hopefully (fingers crossed) this all goes without a hitch.

Name:  invoice_zpsaa99rz8z.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  78.4 KB

Last edited by skobydog; 09-14-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2016
Registered!!

Salvage title is a deal killer. I hope you bought at steep discount (at least half of retail value for an identical non-salvage titled car)......

Hopefully discounted far enough to cover the cost of an engine replacement.
I'm going to disagree with you about "deal killer". Unless you know the specifics it's hard to make that statement. I got a good price and I'm still ok with my purchase (if everything goes right). To each his own.

Last edited by skobydog; 09-14-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-14-2016

I'm going to disagree with you about "deal killer".
I was saying that in regards to not getting the engine replacement covered by Honda. Title problem kills the coverage (deal).

As far as a purchase or sale, I think the usual figure is a salvage title cuts the cars value by half, or more. (Hope the difference covers the cost of an engine)

Some of the reasons I've heard for a car having a salvage title seem amazingly minor.
Maybe the rules vary from state to state, or by the insurance company involved. IDK.

I'm used to hearing about a major crash where repair cost exceeds a % of the cars value and insurance considers it a total loss, then if it is bought and rebuilt it gets a salvage title. This scenario makes perfect sense to me.

So, with car towed, tax, and 2010 80K motor installed the bill comes out to $1354.00. He gave my daughter the written invoice with all charges and taxes. So, considering I'm 12 hours away I can't complain.
That sounds like an excellent deal and a hopefully it has good outcome as far as being problem free/worry free, even though the cost wasn't free.

I bet it would be more than double that price at a dealership, even with the used engine.
Old 09-14-2016
Registered!!

I was saying that in regards to not getting the engine replacement covered by Honda. Title problem kills the coverage (deal).

As far as a purchase or sale, I think the usual figure is a salvage title cuts the cars value by half, or more. (Hope the difference covers the cost of an engine)

Some of the reasons I've heard for a car having a salvage title seem amazingly minor.
Maybe the rules vary from state to state, or by the insurance company involved. IDK.

I'm used to hearing about a major crash where repair cost exceeds a % of the cars value and insurance considers it a total loss, then if it is bought and rebuilt it gets a salvage title. This scenario makes perfect sense to me.

That sounds like an excellent deal and a hopefully it has good outcome as far as being problem free/worry free, even though the cost wasn't free.

I bet it would be more than double that price at a dealership, even with the used engine.
Sorry, misunderstood you. I "hope" everything goes ok. We'll soon find out.
Old 09-16-2016
Registered!!

Just a follow up.

My daughter told me her mother poured almost 2 gallons of water into the radiator the day the motor failure occurred. The mechanic said there was so much water he had to pull the cat off and turn it upside down to get all the water out.

Mechanic had a check engine light on when he was done. The O2 sensor was throwing a code and he thinks the water killed it. He put the one off the 2010 Civic on at no extra cost.

So, for $1,354 (engine, tow, install, and tax) he exceeded what he promised and completed the job in a couple of days. The nice part out all this is that my daughter now has a mechanic in the area. If anyone has Honda issues in Eastern TN I would highly recommend this guy.

Last edited by skobydog; 09-16-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2021
Registered!!

Michael French is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a follow up.

My daughter told me her mother poured almost 2 gallons of water into the radiator the day the motor failure occurred. The mechanic said there was so much water he had to pull the cat off and turn it upside down to get all the water out.

Mechanic had a check engine light on when he was done. The O2 sensor was throwing a code and he thinks the water killed it. He put the one off the 2010 Civic on at no extra cost.

So, for $1,354 (engine, tow, install, and tax) he exceeded what he promised and completed the job in a couple of days. The nice part out all this is that my daughter now has a mechanic in the area. If anyone has Honda issues in Eastern TN I would highly recommend this guy.
Would you share the name of the shop with me? I’m also in East TN
Old 02-21-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

That was 5 years ago....