Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

06 Civic starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pomona is an unknown quantity at this point
06 Civic starting issues

Hi

Just joined.

I've been having some issues with my car starting which has been determined to be the starter. Battery and alternator check out good.

It all started when I noticed my car was hesitating to start. Brought it in for my oil change, and at the dealer it didn't start. Had some major corrosion issues which I ended up correcting myself with baking soda.

Seemed to go back to normal, then my car wouldn't start again. I kept cleaning my terminals as I didn't know what to do.

Basically the problem comes and goes. I went to a mechanic and right there it didn't start right away and so they saw the problem first hand and were so sure it was the starter. They connected a jump to the batteries and it still hesitated. Lately the problem has been it not starting on first turn. So I wait a few secs and then it starts.

That night it started completely normal. So the next day I didn't end up getting my starter replaced as planned. Honestly it baffled them.

Does anyone know why it would do this? The told me once the starter goes, it doesn't just get better.

Kim
Old 09-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 06 Civic starting issues

Starter does not have to be completely dead all the time. They can be a randomly intermittent failure. I'd go ahead and replace it.
Old 09-10-2016
Registered!!

pomona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Starter does not have to be completely dead all the time. They can be a randomly intermittent failure. I'd go ahead and replace it.
Thanks for your input. I wish it was cheaper lol.
Old 11-02-2016
Registered!!

chrisdoc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2009 civic and I'm having a similar starting issue. It gives me trouble when I first try to start it then if I wait a couple seconds it starts.

Did you replace the starter? Did that fix the problem?

Did you use a Honda OEM starter? What did that cost?