Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

07 Civic EX- battery keeps dying, rumbling noises, smoking engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emy Sukenaga is an unknown quantity at this point
07 Civic EX- battery keeps dying, rumbling noises, smoking engine

Hi, so I'm new to this forum, and I don't know a ton about cars.

I have a 2007 Honda Civic EX, it has about 115,000 miles on it. Haven't had any real issues with it, one car owner, but recently we've been racking up the problems.

It's made about two trips from Arizona 2012 to Chicago until 2016, back to Arizona if that's relevant (temp change).

While in Illinois this past May, I took it to a AAA Care Car Center because the battery kept dying. We replaced the battery and still were having problems so they checked out what was draining the battery and decided that the AC Compressor needed to be replaced. 1200 dollars later, we had the AC compressor replaced and were sent on our way. We drove the car in 3 days from Chicago to Arizona in July. Made it fine, but about a month ago the car was randomly stalling while driving (it's an automatic), usually while decelerating or at a stop. We took it to a Firestone and they couldn't find any issues electrically with it with a $25 overview assessment- they wanted to do a $125 diagnostic test , but I declined because they temporarily fixed it. They said they were thinking the AC compressor was taking too much of the battery, and they did some rewiring to fix it and told us it was temporary. The stalling stopped so I thought our problems were done. Then we had to replace our brakes, which was a separate issues- understand where I feel like I'm throwing money into this car and getting no where?

Anyways, we drove about an hour away for this weekend, and left the car outside. The brand new battery we just replaced in May was dead- again. Battery guy from AAA came to try and see what was wrong with it, while he was recharging it he noticed while idle the engine was rumbling pretty badly. He went inside the car while his charger was attached, messed with the AC and gave the car some gas, the rumbling got much louder and more violent until it seemingly exploded and the engine stopped letting off a small amount of white/light gray smoke from the engine with an electrical smell to it.

Any ideas of what is happening? Are the AC Compressor replacement and current battery dying issues related? What should I be asking for when taking it to a mechanic?
Old 09-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 07 Civic EX- battery keeps dying, rumbling noises, smoking engine

The compressor clutch relay is sticking on.

That's causing the compressor clutch to stay engaged when it should not, and it is killing the battery.

Now that the AC system has vented some of its freon charge, it will need some more work (recharge) in addition to the simple relay replacement.

You've spent how much on this problem?
Replacement clutch relay, may be as low as $6 for a problematic original style or generic replacement from a parts store, or maybe $20 (MSRP) for an updated, improved more robust design relay available through any Honda or Acura dealer (you may need to give them the updated part number you need, because many dealership personnel have no idea there's an updated part available).

----------------
Copied from another post of mine:

Order the updated relay at any Honda or Acura dealer......
Honda part # 39794-SDA-A05, brand name is Mitsuba.

(The original troublesome relay brand name is Omron, there are many of this brand used for various systems all over the car but it's usually only a problem when used for the AC compressor clutch.)

Clutch relay is position #12 in the pic below
Remove the relay to disable the compressor and it will stop killing the battery

Replace with new whenever you can pick one up from a dealer.

Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emy Sukenaga is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that you mention that, maybe the compressor broke because of the bad relay. We replaced the AC compressor and replaced the battery which was $1200. That's how much we've spent on this specific problem.

Was the stalling associated with the relay problem? How much is the installation of the relay?

I appreciate your help. Sorry for the repeat problem
Old 09-04-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emy Sukenaga
Now that you mention that, maybe the compressor broke because of the bad relay.

We replaced the AC compressor and replaced the battery which was $1200. That's how much we've spent on this specific problem.
I'll suggest it probably never needed a compressor replacement at all.
Only the relay, but apparently nobody else has figured that out.
You may be a victim of some expensive misdiagnosis.

It may have eventually needed the battery, they don't last forever.
Was it actually bad? At that particular time, I doubt it.

Some people are damn quick to sell you a new battery, because profit.
I don't want to replace a battery until it's been charged up and tested.

Was the stalling associated with the relay problem?
IMO, yes. It's one of several possible symptoms I see when this particular failure happens.
How much is the installation of the relay?
DIY=FREE. The previous reply has almost all the info needed for you to obtain said relay from any dealership and replace it yourself. Open the hood, open the fusebox lid, remove and replace the relay described in the red text.

At most, a pair of pliers might be needed to remove the relay.

After this is done, you'll still need to have the AC system freon recharged or topped off. The refrigerant and oil is what the gray cloud and stink was.

HTH
Old 09-05-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not 100% familiar with that engine layout, engine bay, but, if the relay doesn't solve the issue and you're still having major problems you might be able to bypass the ac compressor itself by running a shorter belt.

You would have no AC but the car would work.
Old 09-05-2016

Originally Posted by mac25
I'm not 100% familiar with that engine layout, engine bay, but, if the relay doesn't solve the issue and you're still having major problems you might be able to bypass the ac compressor itself by running a shorter belt.

You would have no AC but the car would work.
Just removing the relay would stop compressor engagement and stop the drain on the battery.

I wouldn't mess with the short belt trick (it can be done on this engine) unless the pulley bearing is shot and causing problems, and someone can't afford to fix it right.