Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junkelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Help get pulley off AC

2008 Civic LX

Short story:

My belt was making some squealing which progressed to rumbling, grinding noises for a couple days. I suspected it was the air conditioner pulley but the AC continued to work.
After that I noticed a burning rubber smell from the area and the AC quit working. The grinding sound continued.
Suspecting the AC pulley I got a shorter serpentine belt and bypassed the AC. Now there is no noise.

I am hoping that I just need to replace the field coil (tested bad) and clutch assembly and the compressor is ok.

I replaced the coil about three years ago but re-used the old pulley and clutch.

I CANNOT get this pulley off.
I sprayed around with PB blaster.
I tried just pulling with my hands.
I tried a 12" prybar.
I tried knocking the pulley with a block of wood and hammer.
I tried unbolting the alternator and folding it out of the way for better access.
I rented a tool from autozone. It was hard to fit and I could only get it on 2-3 times and the legs popped off the pulley each time without any loosening.
Some times I left the compressor hanging loose to get a better angle and sometimes I reinstalled the upper bolts so it would be stable while applying pressure.

Like I said I remember I did this a few years ago but don't remember it being so hard. I do remember the autozone tool wasn't helpful then either.

I wonder if the bearing melted or burned leaving some residue in there.

I spent 7 hours in my driveway in the hot sun being defeated by this pulley.

How would you more experienced folks remove this?

Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0884.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	89048

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	89049

Name:	IMG_0886.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	89050
Old 08-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help get pulley off AC

When the bearing is GOOD, the pulley has to be removed squarely and evenly because any cocking to one side or another will cause the race to jam on the compressor snout.

Your bearing looks like it has partly destroyed itself at this point, the ***** may not be able to hold the inner race square with the outer race so no matter how you pull on it the inner race jams on the snout.

OR it has tried to lock up the bearing and spun the inner race on the compressor snout, which can seriously complicate removal.

IDK what to do about it though.
If I Can't get it apart in the car in a reasonable amount of time (30 minutes might be too long for me), I'm taking the compressor out of the car and carry it to the workbench to break it without having to contort myself to do it.

There have been occasions where the snout gets broken off the compressor while trying to get the pulley off.