Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

2011 alarm randomly going off when car parked

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ollie2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 alarm randomly going off when car parked

My daughter has a 2011 Civic, and for the last few months has been having issues with her car alarm going off when the car is parked. I have read that this can be an issue with these cars but have yet to find any fixes. If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated. Also can anyone tell me how to disable the alarm in the meantime so that the neighbours don't riot on her!!
Thanks
Old 08-20-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 alarm randomly going off when car parked

A dealer scanner may be able to tell which (switch input) caused the last few alarm events.

Dome light switches all OK?
Door adjustments OK? (A door that doesn't close tight enough can trip the dome light switch randomly)

Hood latch switch gone flaky? Disconnect it and recheck, or you may need to jumper the connector to check it. (I never remember which way on which model LOL)

You can bypass the alarm at that connector too, just make it think the hood is open all the time and it won't arm.
Old 08-21-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for the response, but can you give me some more info? Where are the hood switches located and how do I identify it or them? Are the dome light and the hood switch the only two activators in the circuit? Is it a series circuit where as soon as one is broken, it activates the alarm? Any possibility that someone out there could send me a PDF of the alarm circuit? My daughter lives about an hour away, but is coming home today, and I would like to try and do something for her, and save her a big chunk of cash. I'd appreciate any kind of help.
Old 08-21-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The hood switch is part of the hood latch.

Try to locate a single wire, and maybe a connector running along the top metal frame above radiator and leading over to the hood latch.

Disconnect the connector and test a while. (disables hood protection)
Old 08-21-2016
Registered!!

Thanks Craig. Can you tell me what other switches are also a part of the alarm circuit? Also, is there a motion sensor, or some sort of "sensitivity" sensor in the alarm circuit?
Old 08-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ollie2009
Thanks Craig. Can you tell me what other switches are also a part of the alarm circuit?
4 doors including their jamb switches and lock mechanisms, hood and trunk latch switches.

EDIT: lock **** switches, radio, door switches, door key cylinder switch, ignition switch, navigation system if equipped,

Also, is there a motion sensor, or some sort of "sensitivity" sensor in the alarm circuit?
No.