Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 Auto Transmission Chatter ?

Old 06-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dcove is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Auto Transmission Chatter ?

Have a 2009 civic EX 120K miles. I have done the 3 quart change twice in 60K miles, just 3Q out 3Q in ( not the repeat 3 times method ). When under low load going from first to second it feels like a "chatter". I really only feel it at this time under little load. If there is and load it shifts through the gears perfectly. Downshifts as expected when going downhill with foot off gas. Any suggestions or input ? Could it just need the 9 quart transmission fluid change or bring it to a dealer ( ugh ), and have them do a flush and fill ? Current fluid doesn't smell burnt and looks pretty clean...
Old 06-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Auto Transmission Chatter ?

Sounds like you described Torque converter shudder.
The cheapest thing you can try is the fluid (Hondas DW-1), several drain and fills (simple DIY, 3x3 or 3x4). Sometimes it helps a lot, sometimes it does not.

If that doesn't solve the issue, it would need the torque converter replaced.
Old 06-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Consider changing the transmission filter as well, fairly involved job but the filter is cheap. See my post on this.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dcove is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks All !! I tried the first three quart change over and the chatter improved significantly. Going to do two more cycles of the three quart change and see those results. How important do you think changing the filter is on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is most important. Seems to be getting mixed reviews on the forum. And I certainly don't have tiny arms and hands, mechanically no problem if I can see the filter...
Old 06-13-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

At this dealer we don't replace the filter with any routine trans service. An owner would have to ask for it specifically to be replaced, and would be charged accordingly.