Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2011 Civic lx Alarm system disabled/car broken into

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maddjv926 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2011 Civic lx Alarm system disabled/car broken into

When I got into my car in the morning I noticed the glove box was open, papers and registration everywhere, but nothing else missing (I had nothing of real value in my car however). My neighbor down the street also found something from my glovebox in his yard, so it is obvious my car had been broken into. I am just not understanding how... Even if I had unlocked it by accident from inside my house with the fob- it autolocks after about 30 seconds. However, I noticed that the red flashing light indicating there is a security system is not flashing anymore since this happened. I dont know how to turn it on, or if it was even there or just for show in the first place. There is a sticker on the drivers side door that says "security and immoblizing anti theft system" however, so I am assuming there is one...? But I have been reading that the system may have been deactivated by the dealer (but why would the red light flash all this time and just now stop after this happened) Also, the panic button on my fob is now not working. I am wondering how to reactivate the system (if it is real) at the very least, even though I would really like to know how someone possibly got into my car because it is very creepy! Please help
Old 05-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 Civic lx Alarm system disabled/car broken into

Was the car entered by breaking a window, or opening a door?
Ever had any of your keys go missing? DO you have all of your keys?

Stick the key in the drivers door lock....Does the key still work that lock, or is it all boogered up now--did they break in using a screwdriver in that lock?

Does the anti-theft system arm when you lock the car now?
Does the red light blink on the upper gauges after arming?

Does the horn beep when you double tap the lock button on the fob?
Do the park lights flash when you lock and unlock using the fob?
Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Was the car entered by breaking a window, or opening a door?
Ever had any of your keys go missing? DO you have all of your keys?

Stick the key in the drivers door lock....Does the key still work that lock, or is it all boogered up now--did they break in using a screwdriver in that lock?

Does the anti-theft system arm when you lock the car now?
Does the red light blink on the upper gauges after arming?

Does the horn beep when you double tap the lock button on the fob?
Do the park lights flash when you lock and unlock using the fob?
No, no windows or anything broken into. I have all my keys, never had one go missing, although I did buy the car used back in 2013 but it had only one key (a spare) and the dealer had to order me a fob. I did stick it in the drivers side door lock and it works fine locking and unlocking it, I don't think they messed with it but I'm not sure. When I lock the car it does beep, I will have to check if it's lights are flashing because I don't think I paid attention. And no, there are no red LED lights flashing anymore and the panic button is not working on my fob (I don't remember the last time I used it but I am assuming it's related to this??)

correct me if I'm wrong, but today I tested to see if the autolock doesn't re lock after you unlock the car and open a door- and it doesn't. (I unlocked the car and opened a door and closed it- it did not autolock after 30 seconds) so I might have done this the night before and walked away but I just find it so unlikely and I don't remember doing that at all:/
Old 05-09-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When I lock the car it does beep, I will have to check if it's lights are flashing because I don't think I paid attention.
They should flash when the car is locked and unlocked. Pretty sure they will.

Horn beep ......If you pop the hood release open and close the doors, will the horn still beep when you push the fob twice? (it should not beep when the hood is unlatched)

And no, there are no red LED lights flashing anymore
IIRC it would be next to the temp gauge, it would blink immediately after locking then blink about once every 15 seconds after the alarm is armed.

The owners manual says "if equipped" though. I sure thought all trims except DX have alarm.

Roll down the drivers window, get out shut doors lock car and let the alarm arm (wait 20 seconds until the blinking red light slows down), you should cause it to go off if you unlock the door from the inside.

Ck dash fuses# 10, 25,
engine compartment box #12, 23
and the panic button is not working on my fob
Hold the button down for at least a full second to activate panic.
The fob has a red LED in it, does that light when you push the panic button?

My first thought is the car was left unlocked. Pushing the remote is so ingrained and automatic sometimes I forget and don't notice it. Bad thing because I usually leave my wallet in the car while I'm at work.
Old 05-10-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by maddjv926

correct me if I'm wrong, but today I tested to see if the autolock doesn't re lock after you unlock the car and open a door- and it doesn't. (I unlocked the car and opened a door and closed it- it did not autolock after 30 seconds) so I might have done this the night before and walked away but I just find it so unlikely and I don't remember doing that at all:/
Auto re-lock works if you unlock, and then do not open any doors....then it relocks. And also, only when unlocking from fob.
Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjv926

Auto re-lock works if you unlock, and then do not open any doors....then it relocks. And also, only when unlocking from fob.
I missed that question....Craig is correct, the automatic relock will only occur if no doors were opened.
Old 05-11-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
They should flash when the car is locked and unlocked. Pretty sure they will.

Horn beep ......If you pop the hood release open and close the doors, will the horn still beep when you push the fob twice? (it should not beep when the hood is unlatched)

IIRC it would be next to the temp gauge, it would blink immediately after locking then blink about once every 15 seconds after the alarm is armed.

The owners manual says "if equipped" though. I sure thought all trims except DX have alarm.

Roll down the drivers window, get out shut doors lock car and let the alarm arm (wait 20 seconds until the blinking red light slows down), you should cause it to go off if you unlock the door from the inside.

Ck dash fuses# 10, 25,
engine compartment box #12, 23
Hold the button down for at least a full second to activate panic.
The fob has a red LED in it, does that light when you push the panic button?

My first thought is the car was left unlocked. Pushing the remote is so ingrained and automatic sometimes I forget and don't notice it. Bad thing because I usually leave my wallet in the car while I'm at work.

Thank you so much for your response. I think I left it unlocked too lol. Good to know about the panic button and having to hold it down for more than a second