Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check engine light on after fuel cleaning service

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwatson741 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check engine light on after fuel cleaning service

Hi All, wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could have happened. I had a fuel injection cleaning done (recommended by car replair place, the $99 one) yesterday. I also was told the gasket valve cover was leaking and that was replaced as well. Car is a 2006 Honda Civic with 120k miles. Drove car home about 2 miles it was fine. Drove again that night around 5 miles, fine. Drive car about 3 miles Saturday morning and notice that it feels like the engine is surging a bit when stopped at a light. Kind of wonder to myself but stupidly take car back out. Drive about 17 miles away, part of it highway driving at 70mph and the rest at 45mph with starting and stopping at lights. No more surging after the faster drive. Get to first destination, car is turned off for 5 minutes, get back in and the surging is very bad. Next stop was 5 miles away, in that 5 miles the car feels like its about to die, check engine light starts flashing then turns solid. Make it to next destination having to turn the car off twice. At next stop car sits for 45 minutse but still have another 13 miles home. I debate towing it but ultimately since the light is solid decide to drive home. I realize that if I stay under 40, its mostly ok and the car basically will not go over 40. I think I now realize the car is doing that by design. Toward the end of the final drive the car feels like its about to stall many times (more starting and stopping on this road with lights) but doesn't.

Its now home and can't do anything about it till Monday morning. The shop that did the fuel cleaning is 2 miles away. Do you think its ok to drive it there Monday morning, slowly, and any ideas of what possibly could be wrong? This shop had recommend the fuel cleaning to me in November, I debated doing it and ultimately decided to since the car had been a bit rough idling occassionally, not a constant thing at all and nothing anywhere near what happened today. I figured for $99 maybe the cleaning would help. I am seriously hoping it is something minor that needs to be adjusted after this cleaning but am seriously worried this is going to be a huge deal. Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Check engine light on after fuel cleaning service

chances are its something they F-ed up,

but they will be very unlikely to admit it,

good luck
Old 04-02-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

You could drive, but if it will get there, is anyone's guess. I were you, I would try, though

My guess is that you might have similar to worse than your last trip.

PS:
Use enter between sentences every once in a time.

I felt like reading my mortgage contract, horrible to read when a wall of words is in front of you. And I like reading.
Old 04-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

check engine light starts flashing then turns solid
Check the oil level.
Check for fault codes, let's see what the computer saw as a problem.
Record the data, then erase the codes. Drive it and see if the same code(s) reset.
I had a fuel injection cleaning done (recommended by car replair place, the $99 one) yesterday.
Whatever they did is not something that needs done.
These services are mostly designed to clean your wallet.

Your car ran fine BEFORE you lost $99, yes?
check engine light starts flashing then turns solid
IF the service involved intake tract cleaning, there's a good chance there (is or was) a bunch of liquid laying in the bottom of the intake manifold....this COULD be causing your problems now IF nobody took care of it after the service.
Old 04-02-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I've ran thousands of them, you do get problems if you blast it at the MAF sensor, they can be damaged by the cold spray, or, get thrown into confusion due to the conflict in air density and the temperature they are reading.

other than that no damage should occur.

-I would not drive it
-I would yell at the service place that messed up your car
-if you can read the codes before you take it back to them so they can't bs you on what codes came up
-whatever you do make sure they fix it for free because your car was working before they cleaned it.