Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Anti-theft alarm acting up

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laura Loveland is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Anti-theft alarm acting up

Hello!

I own a 2007 Honda Civic coupe. I am the original owner and have put all 150,000 miles on her.

Today I pressed the keyless remote for what I thought was to unlock the car and her alarm started sounding. I can not honestly say that I had not pressed the panic button so I did as I have done in the past and pressed the unlock button to stop the alarm. However, it did not stop and went on forever...and ever..and almost ever...well until I disconnected the battery. Dang horn hurt my ears.

I am not much of a mechanical person but I do know that the horn will not work if the fuse is out. I pulled the fuse and reconnected the battery cable and the alarm did not sound. However, my brake lights did not work since that same fuse was for them too. Each time I put the fuse back in the alarm would sound while the battery was connected.

Since I could not drive over 40 miles home without brake lights, nor with horn sounding, I did what any woman married to a man would do and called my hubby. He suggested that I change the fuse because it might be blown. I explained to him that the fuse did not look blown, as he had shown me one time, however he said give it a try. Well, I changed the fuse and the alarm system did not sound as it had with the "blown" fuse. Is it really that simple...just change the fuse? I want to know because next time it happens I just want to go for the fuse and not the battery cable.

One other thing about the car: She is having a problem with her temperature gauge and the turn signal switch/bumps in the road. Sometimes when I turn my blinker on/or go over a bump the temperature gauge goes wacky and displays the lines from the temperature of the car to where the H symbol should be without displaying either the C or H symbol. Does that make sense? I figure somewhere something has come loose and that is why it only happens when I use the blinkers or the road is bumpy. Any suggestions on how to fix that? I have looked, and read, all my Honda books but that issue is not addressed.

She is a good running car and I have not had any issues with her. I know that she is getting up there in miles, however I really wanna drive her until her wheels fall off!

Thank you so much!

Laura
Old 03-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anti-theft alarm acting up

Experiment with the panic button while you are at home.....Seems like I recall if you used that button to make the horn blare, then you have to press panic again to get it to shut off.S eems like unlock button won't do anything in that case.

If the alarm is not acting up right now, just let it go and see what happens.

On the temp gauge.... Use your hand to smack the top of the dash over the gauge set, see if that makes it act up or flicker.
Old 03-02-2016
Registered!!

Thanks! The book says open the driver door with the keyless remote, however I did play around with it and it seems like panic button will stop the alarm too. Of course, now the horn is blaring and I can not get it to stop by pressing either button, just like today, so I pulled the fuse and will await until my hubby gets home. No, smacking the dashboard does not make the temperature gauge flicker/act up. What does that mean?
Old 03-02-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The book says open the driver door with the keyless remote, however I did play around with it and it seems like panic button will stop the alarm too. Of course, now the horn is blaring and I can not get it to stop by pressing either button, just like today, so I pulled the fuse and will await until my hubby gets home.
Ok found the owners manual info.
PANIC-Press this button for
about 1 second to attract attention;
the horn will sound, and the exterior
lights will flash for about 30 seconds.
To cancel panic mode, press any
other button on the remote
transmitter, or insert the key.

But if it was the security system going off,
This alarm continues for 2
minutes,
then it stops. To reset an
alarming system before the 2
minutes have elapsed, unlock the
driver’s door with the key or the
remote transmitter.

I guess the next question would be, at what point exactly does the car start making noise?
Only pressing unlock button on the fob?
After you opened the car door?

Have you tried turning the key in the door lock?

Does the dome light come on when you open each door? (looking for a bad door jamb switch)

No, smacking the dashboard does not make the temperature gauge flicker/act up. What does that mean?
Simulating road bumps by using your hand.

Try it when it acts up......much like smacking the side of an old TV when it acts up.
It would at least let you know the issue is within the area you smacked.
Sounds like it probably needs a speedo cluster.
Old 03-03-2016
Registered!!

I copied the following from an online copy of the manual: The security system helps to protect your vehicle and valuables from theft. The horn sounds and a combination of headlights, parking lights, side marker lights, and taillights flashes if someone attempts to break into your vehicle or remove the radio. This alarm continues for 2 minutes, then the system resets. To reset an alarming system before the 2 minutes have elapsed, unlock the driver’s door with the key or the remote transmitter. The security system automatically sets 15 seconds after you lock the doors, hood, and trunk. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system indicator on the instrument panel starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself.

Clarification: The horn is not intermittently honking nor are there any flashing lights as when the panic button is pressed. When that happens I can stop everything by pressing the unlock button on the key fob. What is happening is that sometimes when I press the unlock button on the key fob the horn begins sounding in a constant stream of sound as if I was honking the horn continuously. There are no flashing lights. I cannot stop the noise unless I disconnect the battery or pull the horn fuse. Pressing the key fob does not work. Using my key to enter the car does not work. I can even start the car as the horn is sounding. There are two dome lights: one works when the doors open, however the other one only works by pressing upon it. It use to work with the doors but no longer does so. Could it possibly be my car battery or the battery in the key fob that is making the horn sound? I have only changed the car battery once in the last nine years and I have never changed the battery in the key fob.

I will smack the dashboard when the temperature gauge acts up next time to see if it flickers. I know that I can stop the flickering at times by jiggling the turn signal stick, however sometimes it flickers in tune with the blinking of the turn signal.
Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by Laura Loveland; 03-03-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Clean up
Old 03-03-2016

in a constant stream of sound as if I was honking the horn continuously. There are no flashing lights.
Hmmm. That makes it all different. There's no controls that would keep it blaring continuously.... Now it sounds more like the horn relay gets stuck on after being 'clicked'?

Can it get stuck on after beeping the horn using the steering wheel button?

Horn relay is built into the fuse box...Access the underdash fuse box...get it to act up, then smack the side of the fuse box a few times and see if it quits honking.
Old 03-03-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Strange for certain, unlock does not utilize the horn.
Old 03-03-2016

There are two dome lights: one works when the doors open, however the other one only works by pressing upon it. It use to work with the doors but no longer does so.
Front map lights don't come on with the door open unless there's a separate switch in those lights for that function. (EX/moonroof cars?)

Could it possibly be my car battery or the battery in the key fob that is making the horn sound?
No.
Old 03-03-2016

Originally Posted by CraigW
Strange for certain, unlock does not utilize the horn.
Oh, I missed that. I was thinking lock and panic, but now that you mention it....
Old 03-03-2016
Registered!!

There is a separate switch for the dome lights and it is set to door activated. Yes, it has a moon roof, however I am unsure of the EX because the owner manual only calls the car a Civic Coupe. EX has come up in conversations before, however there is nothing on my car that indicates any EX.

Horn relay and interior fuse box: I can not smack the fuse box because it is not really contained within a box. They are just sitting out in the open underneath of the dashboard. Does that make sense?

I can honk the horn and no, it has never set the horn blaring as the key fob does.

Just a question: When the horn is blaring I pull the fuse (called stop, horn in # 12) located under the hood to stop it. The fuse is not blown. After an amount of time I can put that same fuse back in and the horn will not sound. It is like it is resetting itself. Does that not sound like the security system and the reset of two minutes?

Okay, another question: Is there any other fuse that I can pull that would disable the horn but not the brake lights? Is there a fuse to disable the security system? Not a great fix, however a quick fix until I can get it fixed.

Thank you!
Old 03-03-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Front dome, it sounds like the inop dome is not getting it's ground path through micu.... but the other beside it is. When you press the lights it provides a local ground to bulbs. (And nothing to do with your horn)

They did away with LX & EX trim badges 06+ (you should have an EX though)

You may have to open drivers door, & reach in from outside to whack the under dash box with a fist.
Old 03-03-2016

EX has come up in conversations before, however there is nothing on my car that indicates any EX.
Quickest visual clues IMO:
LX and below would have had hubcaps and a plain roof from the factory.
EX and higher would have aluminum wheels and moonroof from the factory.

I've been in the dealer for about 13 years now, and half the time I still gotta enter the cars VIN into 'the system' just to see what the trim level is and what it was supposed to be equipped with. It gets worse with every new model year too.
There's like about 13 different trim variations on just Accords now, I am not about to memorize all the differences.

Horn relay and interior fuse box: I can not smack the fuse box because it is not really contained within a box. They are just sitting out in the open underneath of the dashboard. Does that make sense?

You found it LOL. It's a busy area... there's fuses, relays, and 3/4 of the wire harness in the car all plug into it in front or on the back. Plus there's a computer embedded inside it (MICU, or body systems computer) and more relays you can't see. The horn relay is inside it, you can't see it.

I can honk the horn and no, it has never set the horn blaring as the key fob does.
I guess that should rule out the stuck relay theory.

Just a question: When the horn is blaring I pull the fuse (called stop, horn in # 12) located under the hood to stop it. The fuse is not blown. After an amount of time I can put that same fuse back in and the horn will not sound. It is like it is resetting itself. Does that not sound like the security system and the reset of two minutes?
Now that you clarified that it's continuously blaring non-stop, that shouldn't be the security or panic because both of those are supposed to make the horn beep repeatedly (maybe at half-second or one-second intervals?), not continuously.

Okay, another question: Is there any other fuse that I can pull that would disable the horn but not the brake lights?
No separate fuse.
About all you could do is disconnect the horn to shut it up, and that's not very easy as it's rather hidden behind the front bumper cover.

There are two dome lights: one works when the doors open, however the other one only works by pressing upon it. It use to work with the doors but no longer does so.
Revisit this for a sec... Front dome/map lights and rear dome light are both controlled using the same wire from the MICU, so if the front dome switch (labeled 'door' and 'off') is in the door position they should act exactly like the rear dome light. Sounds like the switch in the front map light panel might be bad. Needs further testing at any rate....but should be unrelated to this current horn problem.

Is there a fuse to disable the security system?
Now you got me thinking again....Bad move LOL
The system won't arm itself if it believes the hood is open.

Open the hood then try to lock the car with the remote, and hit the lock button 3 or 4 times to see if the horn will beep. If it will not beep upon locking, the alarm should not arm.
Wait a while....... then try unlocking the car with the remote again, see if the horn blares continuously again.