Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Blown Head Gasket or Cracked Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the rough
Blown Head Gasket or Cracked Block

Quick question (Ezone)...would a blown head gasket continue to drip coolant 24 hours later, or is this more symptomatic of a cracked block? There was quite the pond beneath the car this morning. It's coming from the rear side of the motor where I can't see $#!t.
Thanks for your expert opinion!
Dobbs

Name:  561D32A2-BDA2-41CF-BAF8-2D4086797C89_zpsuvbarqml.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  180.8 KB
Old 01-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blown Head Gasket or Cracked Block

07 and you can't see the leak on the front of the engine? Cracked block. Should be coming out right above the starter if it's the block.

There are small coolant hoses and heater hoses in the area too, but hoses really haven't been a big problem area IMO.

10 years unlimited mileage warranty on the block as long as the VIN report says it's valid.
Old 01-14-2016
Registered!!

Dobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the rough

Update:
Car will be making a visit to the dealer next week to determine whether or not it's a cracked block. If so, the dealer has verified the VIN to qualify for extended warranty on this block.
Will keep ya updated as things continue...
Old 01-14-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fill radiator before driving!
Some dealers have been reported as trying to make you buy a cylinder head if it's warped from overheating.
Old 01-19-2016
Registered!!

*Deleted* this post. Taking car to dealer today. Stay tuned...

Last edited by Dobber1; 01-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2016
Registered!!

Received word today the block is cracked and will be replaced under warranty. I'll update when I get it back in about a week. Hopefully Honda Motor Co will pick up the cost of the loaner?
Old 01-22-2016

Originally Posted by Dobber1

Received word today the block is cracked and will be replaced under warranty. I'll update when I get it back in about a week. Hopefully Honda Motor Co will pick up the cost of the loaner?
Did it start and run or did it have to be towed to the dealer?

The term "LOANER" implies there is no fee for use, it's free to you.
Rental would imply a fee for use.

IF you had to pay a dime you should have been informed up front. Inquire at the dealer service dept if you have questions.

The dealer will probably be reimbursed for the rental fee by Honda as part of the engine repair job.....meaning your loaner car is not actually free.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Update from dealer:
Cylinder head is not warped, so only the short block will be replaced. I’m not sure how much longer you intend to keep the civic but based on the miles my Tech has compiled a list of things you may want to replace that Honda is not going to be covering. I’ve attached it. The only thing he left off was the drive belt and doesn’t look bad ( small cracking inside) but as you know there won’t be any addtl labor. Belt cost 46.55

[/URL]

With 413,000 miles, not sure I want to invest $900 into this car. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dobbs
Old 01-28-2016

Holy poop thatsalotta miles.
You must be doing something right to get that far without problems.

#1 Dowel pins, WHY? Lost? Damage? Seized in the block? They must be in place for assembly no matter what.

#2 Head bolts....I have not seen any that were out of spec during block job yet. There are published specs the mech is supposed to use to judge if the parts are usable or not. Do they pass or fail?
(I've only been witness to one broken head bolt on a Honda, in the 07 Fit I bought cheap last year for my GF.)

#3456 Timing chain, same thing. There is a measurement to check if it's stretched or not (must be checked while installed, preferably during teardown). At that mileage I'd kinda expect it may be due. Tensioner and guides I would say yes if you do the chain..
(I've seen stretched chains on neglected K engines at less than 100k miles)

7 Oil pump, if there was no issue with oil pressure light coming on during hot idle before (assuming the oil light still works), I'd reuse it. We don't have much bottom end problems.

#8 cap may just be needed if they replace the oil pump, as the pump is built in to the timing cover. Otherwise it's a possible oil seep, but I don't remember this engine having bad leaks there. But I don't think I've seen one with 400k+ either.

Spark plugs DIY at your leisure? Are they needed? Wasn't it running when you took it in?

Thermostat, sure it's cheap insurance.

12 13 bolts....may have galled and stripped upon disassembly....It happens when steel things are threaded into aluminum. Yes if needed, you can't go around with only one bolt holding the starter and alternator on .
I actually had a compressor bracket break off a bolt hole because of this, it got replaced as part of the warranty job.

Use any online parts catalog website to double check the quoted prices, maybe you can negotiate a little there if you know true MSRP.
Old 02-10-2016
Registered!!

Update:
Back on the road & running fine!