Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dented and Scraped Right Bumper Cover w Pics...Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SoSad is an unknown quantity at this point
Dented and Scraped Right Bumper Cover w Pics...Suggestions?

I'm a new driver and got scared when turning into a mini-street in my school's parking lot as a van was heading directly at me on the wrong side of the street. I tried to go back to the street I was on and panicked, stupidly did not hit the brakes enough, slid on some ice and hit the curb. The underside of the right bumper cover is dented and scratched. It's my parents' 2015 Honda Civic (DX I think, basic 1.8L) and they're Eastern European so they're going to kill me. Any suggestions on the best ways to repair? Would really appreciate different methods such as cheapest, most reliable, etc... Thank you guys so much!!
UPDATE: Just noticed a vibrating sound at low speeds coming from the front right side of the car that sounds like uncontrollable shaking after driving it home.
https://imageshack.com/i/p8O0yWDWj
https://imageshack.com/i/p7LpETVqj
https://imageshack.us/i/p8QQIFHgj

Last edited by SoSad; 01-05-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dented and Scraped Right Bumper Cover w Pics...Suggestions?

and they're Eastern European so they're going to kill me.
Their origins have nothing to do with wanting to kill you.
slid on some ice and hit the curb.
It was a freekin accident. Most people don't go around doing this stuff on purpose.

Did you learn anything from this experience? Good.
The underside of the right bumper cover is dented and scratched.

Just noticed a vibrating sound at low speeds coming from the front right side of the car that sounds like uncontrollable shaking after driving it home.
Put your big girl panties on and man up.
Admit what happened, because you can't hide it and it will be noticed.

(see if the black plastic inner fender lining is rubbing on the tire)

This is what INSURANCE is for.
Have a professional see how much damage you did, both cosmetic and mechanical damage, and get it fixed correctly.
Old 01-05-2016
Registered!!

Yeah of course I admitted it, my dad has just made it my duty to figure out the different ways this can be fixed. Thanks so much!
Old 01-05-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't trying to be an *** (ok maybe a little)....but this is what insurance is for.

If you hit hard enough to cause damage to a wheel or tire, that could cause the shaking--- and if you hit hard enough to do that sort of damage, the suspension should be inspected thoroughly for damage too.

If the steering wheel is no longer perfectly straight while driving in a straight line, that means the wheel is no longer pointing straight ahead because something in the suspension or subframe got tweaked or bent --and needs corrected.....before it eats up and ruins tire(s).
Old 01-05-2016
Registered!!

The sound only occurred immediately after the accident, and stopped after I took it out for a drive later, although it should obviously still get checked. The problem with insurance is that I just got my license and I don't want my insurance to skyrocket and never come down. That's why I ask for any other suggestions such as going straight to a mechanic or body shop, as well as predictions for how much it would all cost to repair.
Old 01-05-2016

as well as predictions for how much it would all cost to repair.
No way to predict prices, you let the appropriate shops inspect and make their price estimates.

Cosmetic stuff, maybe it will need the bumper cover replaced and painted. Or not. I've seen cases where a good bodyman can work miracles with a plastic bumper cover. IDK, it's up to the bodyshop.

Mechanical stuff is a different matter, and is more important to me.

Ok, you've driven it since the accident....

Is the steering wheel still level and straight while driving in a straight line? Not off center at all?

Does it shake while driving, or does the steering wheel twitch back and forth as you drive slow?
Does it shake at high speeds (highway/interstate)?

Did you look in the wheel(s) to see if there's a bunch of snow packed into them? THAT will cause all sorts of shaking, for sure. It doesn't take much to throw a wheel out of balance. Easily removed too, if that's the case.

Does it make unusual noises now?