Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

~need help loud ticking coming from front end~

Old 01-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~need help loud ticking coming from front end~

Originally Posted by dapa
he seems to think its intake manifold swirl flaps ? what do u think?
Not unless you are driving a Ford.
Old 01-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dapa is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok goin to my cuzins tomorrow I'll keep you updated when I locate this thanks
Old 01-30-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

better have enough money for a tow truck and a rental car....just in case it's really bearings it may not last very long on the highway
Old 01-31-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
better have enough money for a tow truck and a rental car....just in case it's really bearings it may not last very long on the highway
I don't really think it's a bearing I drove about 2,000k since the noise started

Only one of the mechanics out of 4 said it was a bearing and the other guys said its deff not a bearing

My friend has a tow truck He's ready for me lol !!

My cuzin has a few things he's gonna try and I'm gonna do what u told me to
Old 01-31-2016
Registered!!

Hey eZone just here messing around with the car we did the spark plug thing and nothing changed he did the other test to no sound change we are checking the valve clearance now the tick is coming from top around cliynder #4 ... Got any other tests we can try I'm just sitting here he's adjusting valves let me know thanks
Old 01-31-2016

inspect closely

valve springs,
rocker arms
vtec springs and pins between rocker arms
lost motion springs
cam lobes and rocker arm rollers
Old 01-31-2016
Registered!!

All that seems good...anything else man ? Thx

Also I notice my spark plugs are white / dry ?

Last edited by dapa; 01-31-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2016

plugs are fine.

I don't really know what to tell you as far as looking for problems....you really need to have a real good idea of where to look before you take stuff apart....

I just wrote some stuff to look at in the top end and some parts might not be visible without a full teardown to really inspect. I personally really haven't seen problems there in that engine.

you could try running the engine with the valve cover off and check for noises but it could be dangerous and make one hell of an oily mess if you did.

Could check for timing chain stretch and/or chain tensioner failure

Have you had the oil and filter changed since it was run low on oil 2000 miles ago?
If not, you might do an oil change---drain the oil through a paint strainer to check for metal debris, and cut open the old filter and check for metal caught in the filter media.
That's kind of a long shot because the big chunks of metal usually stay in the oil pan when there's a bearing failure.
Old 02-01-2016
Registered!!

So we did a lot of testing and when we rev the car to 1500 we get the tick take off cylinder #4 the noise is not there at that rpm so we are thinking rod bearing on the way out ? How big of a job is it to drop the oil pan ? Think we could see any damages to the bearings if we take this off ? I'm thinking just order a new motor and throw some Lucas in this till the motor goes ? Let me know what u think thanks

Edit we did compression test all are reading ok
Old 02-01-2016

when we rev the car to 1500 we get the tick take off cylinder #4 the noise is not there at that rpm so we are thinking rod bearing on the way out ?
THAT is what I was expecting to hear. Rod bearing is not "on the way out", it's a goner already.

On the way out.....through the side of the engine block.

I'd just replace the whole thing.
I'm thinking just order a new motor
New or used.
Used, complete if possible. Prefer 2011 if there's a choice, I'd prefer to avoid 06-09 is unless it's already had the block replaced. Ya takes your chances though.

And on the next engine, maybe you should check your oil level with every gas fill up.
Old 02-01-2016
Registered!!

I check my oil all the time it was an oil leak remember ? And sorry it's not a bearing it's the lost Motion assembly
Old 02-01-2016

And sorry it's not a bearing it's the lost Motion assembly
Huge difference there.....and I'm not sure how or why disabling a cylinder would affect the noise if it was caused by a broken lost motion spring.