Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

2001 civic dx, dash brake light staying on

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johnny18 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 civic dx, dash brake light staying on

I have a 2001 civic dx and i also have a problem with the brake light staying on, it stays on only when the car is running, I believe it might be my e-brake because its kindda loose any help please?
Old 12-03-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Brake Lighs stays ON - Honda Civic 2001 LX

Are you talking about the ABS light on the gauge cluster?

or

the tail lights?

and if you are talking about the tail lights you may be looking at the mark lights. The taillights should always be on while the vehicle is running, and should light up brighter when you depress the brake pedal.

If you are mean the abs light that means that there is an issue with the anti-lock braking system (your brakes will still work you just won't have the electronic pulsing to prevent tire lock and sliding, while braking).
Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

The ABS light on the gauge cluster. How can I fix that? I thought it just needed a little thightning
Originally Posted by mac25
Are you talking about the ABS light on the gauge cluster?

or

the tail lights?

and if you are talking about the tail lights you may be looking at the mark lights. The taillights should always be on while the vehicle is running, and should light up brighter when you depress the brake pedal.

The ABS light on the gauge cluster. How can I fix that? I thought it just needed a little thightning
If you are mean the abs light that means that there is an issue with the anti-lock braking system (your brakes will still work you just won't have the electronic pulsing to prevent tire lock and sliding, while braking).
Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by johnny18
Old 12-03-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

The abs light indicates that there is a malfunction in the electric abs system.

it will be a fuse/relay/abs sensor

-You can try to diagnose it yourself and fix
-get a shop to fix it

...or put a piece of tap over it and learn how to pump the brake in low traction conditions like they used to before abs. (my abs has been out for two years, I've had no accidents but I have had a few close calls and had to act under pressure. If you aren't an experienced driver get it fixed).
Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
There is a hole in the brake pedal arm that has a plastic plug/pin inside where the pedal arm meets the brake switch actuator... if the plastic pin comes out the it allows the switch to stay on. Look at it closely, and lightly work the brake pedal by hand and you should be able to diagnose.

Like this--> https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ht-switch.html
Hi I have 2001 civic dx my problem is that the gage brake light, its the light that indicates when you have the 'E' brake on, well that light stays on what can it be?
Old 12-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Moving thread.

Originally Posted by johnny18
Hi I have 2001 civic dx my problem is that the gage brake light, its the light that indicates when you have the 'E' brake on, well that light stays on what can it be?

YELLOW ABS light is for the antilock brake system. It would need real diagnosis. You could ohm check all 4 wheel speed sensors and hope you find one that measures way different from the others. (DX should not be equipped with ABS?)

RED brake light on the gauge cluster is connected to the handbrake and the brake fluid level.

Handbrake has a small electric switch below the handle. Dig in to locate it, unplug it to see if the light goes out.

The RED brake light can be controlled by other things too.
A bad MICU can keep the red brake light on.
An alternator failure could keep it on along with a bunch of other lights.
Got other weird electrical issues happening in the car?
Old 01-20-2016
Registered!!

DavidKing is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 civic dx, dash brake light staying on

If the Emergency Brake and/or Hand Brake, which is a red indicator is on while driving means one of these probably:

1. Master cylinder pressure switch is activated due to serious malfunction in the braking system. THE VEHICLE SHOULD NOT BE DRIVEN, as you may not have any brakes and/or fail without notice. A new brake master cylinder will resolve this problem.

2. IF the e-brake light illuminates while driving, there's a strong possibility there a leak in the braking system. Brake fluid may be leaking which lowers the brake fluid in the master cylinder which causes the brake pressure switch to illuminate the light on dash.

IT'S UNSAFE to drive the vehicle if the hand brake light is on after the e-brake is disengaged.
Old 02-21-2016
Registered!!

JenH71 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2003 Civic HX Coupe is doing the same thing. There WAS a brake leak, which was fixed, but the light remained on after refilling the MC. My guess is the fluid got too low in the MC and now the float is malfunctioning as I've not had any brake fluid loss since finding the leak. Brake pressure and function is still good, but not worth the risk driving it. When I unplug the MC sensor, the light goes off, so the MC is being replaced next weekend. Car has 175K miles on it.
Old 02-21-2016
Registered!!

DavidKing is an unknown quantity at this point

The Master cylinder pressure switch is defective, which is causing the brake light (light which illuminates red in cluster) to stay on.

The vehicle should not be driven, as the braking system will fail without notice!!

There are two possibilities:

1. IF there was a brake fluid leak, and it was due to a corroded brake line(s), there's a a very good possibility that there's a pin hole leak which is causing the brake system to leak and the leaking fluid is not visible. However, the brake fluid level would decrease triggering the pressure differential switch in the brake master cylinder.

Solution: Find where the leak is first.

2. Defective pressure switch in brake master cylinder.

Solution: Replace master cylinder.
Old 05-17-2020
Registered!!

okbuddy333 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had this happen today so i bought a little bottle of brake fluid and topped it off a bit. the light went off immediately and i drove around the block and its still off. problem solved. i love this car
Old 05-17-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okbuddy333
i had this happen today so i bought a little bottle of brake fluid and topped it off a bit. the light went off immediately and i drove around the block and its still off. problem solved. i love this car
Now figure out why that fluid level went down.