Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

EGR - Civic 2009

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marcan is an unknown quantity at this point
EGR - Civic 2009

Hello,
On my Civic 2009 I have a P2413 code = EGR System Performance. The EGR valve is clean (no carbon deposits) and the engine runs perfect.
As part of the troubleshooting (without HDS tool) I want to test if the EGR valve is working. I tried to see if the EGR Valve Control pin receives voltage at high RPMs (in order to open the valve) and only see a momentary voltage between 3 and 5 volts when I am accelerating (around 2500 RPM) and after that just Zero volts.
Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? How to test or even better, how is the EGR valve supposed to work.
Thanks a lot
Old 10-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EGR - Civic 2009

The computer basically believes the egr valve was stuck closed for at least 5 seconds, as determined by the position sensor feedback after being commanded open.
Maybe it really was stuck closed, or maybe it just thinks it was stuck closed.

==============

If you have a good enough scanner to get a data list, you may be able to watch the EGR position sensor voltage change as you drive it.

==============

The valve uses 5 wires.

2 wires make the valve open and close: Black wire is ground, blue/red opens the valve when power is applied. The computer modulates power to keep the valve in a certain desired open position.
If you disconnect the wiring plug and use jumper wires to supply a ground to the appropriate pin and then apply battery 12v to the pin where the blue/red wire connected, the valve should go wide open. If the engine is idling when you try this it should stumble badly or stall.

3 wires are for the position sensor. The white/black is the position signal to the computer. A decent value may be 1v-1.20v at closed position, then increase as the valve is opened.

Backprobe to take readings, don't maul terminals in a connector!

=====================

Notes on general EGR operation:

High RPM may not be correct to get the computer to open the valve.

The valve is not operated all the time, you have to put the engine in certain conditions to make it operate.

Engine warmed up, trans in a forward gear, wheels spinning, light load like steady speed driving 30-65 MPH.

It probably will not operate without a VSS input so the wheels must be spinning. It might figure out if you aren't really driving (wheels spinning in the air) and disable EGR too.

It (EGR) will not operate when the engine is cold, it does not operate when at idle, and it does not operate under a high load.

IF there is an EGR fault detected-- the computer might not attempt to open the valve any more during the run cycle. If it sets a code it might wait until after the next key cycle before it will attempt opening the valve again.

HTH
Old 10-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marcan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EGR - Civic 2009

Originally Posted by ezone
The computer basically believes the egr valve was stuck closed for at least 5 seconds, as determined by the position sensor feedback after being commanded open.
Maybe it really was stuck closed, or maybe it just thinks it was stuck closed.

==============

If you have a good enough scanner to get a data list, you may be able to watch the EGR position sensor voltage change as you drive it.

==============

The valve uses 5 wires.

2 wires make the valve open and close: Black wire is ground, blue/red opens the valve when power is applied. The computer modulates power to keep the valve in a certain desired open position.
If you disconnect the wiring plug and use jumper wires to supply a ground to the appropriate pin and then apply battery 12v to the pin where the blue/red wire connected, the valve should go wide open. If the engine is idling when you try this it should stumble badly or stall.

3 wires are for the position sensor. The white/black is the position signal to the computer. A decent value may be 1v-1.20v at closed position, then increase as the valve is opened.

Backprobe to take readings, don't maul terminals in a connector!

=====================

Notes on general EGR operation:

High RPM may not be correct to get the computer to open the valve.

The valve is not operated all the time, you have to put the engine in certain conditions to make it operate.

Engine warmed up, trans in a forward gear, wheels spinning, light load like steady speed driving 30-65 MPH.

It probably will not operate without a VSS input so the wheels must be spinning. It might figure out if you aren't really driving (wheels spinning in the air) and disable EGR too.

It (EGR) will not operate when the engine is cold, it does not operate when at idle, and it does not operate under a high load.

IF there is an EGR fault detected-- the computer might not attempt to open the valve any more during the run cycle. If it sets a code it might wait until after the next key cycle before it will attempt opening the valve again.

HTH
Thanks for your detailed response. I will check if the valve opens as indicated by disconnecting and applying 12V, and will then try to check the behavior while driving. I do not have the specialized Honda Diagnosis tool, just have an ODB2 reader, but probably can check voltages when driving. I guess I will do two driving tests, one with the P2413 code on and then a second one after resetting the code.