Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

Does my 2007 Civic have a immobilizer on the ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Does my 2007 Civic have a immobilizer on the ignition switch?

Does my 2007 Civic Coupe EX have a immobilizer on the ignition switch? Has the factory alarm. Got the car with only one FOB key. Had a valet key made for $100 at the dealer but it seemed to do everything. Now grandson has broken the FOB key at the base where it joins the plastic. Still works. Took it apart and at first appeared I could swap it out with my extra 2005 CRV key body but they are different. The CRV key has a little 1/4x 1/8 immoblizer on the side of the case. The 2007 Civic does not have this. Not sure where it is unless it's in the FOB case with the battery.

The Key Transmitter top case and blank is only $22.75 35113-SVA-306 and the lower is $3.51 35116-SDA-A11

Sure looks like I could get these two parts and have the dealer make me a key from my old one without taking the car to him to have it married to car for $150. He just quoted me before $100 valet and $150 of FOB key when he made the valet. Any thoughts? Civic is 2HGFG12847H530848

The 2005 CRV top case 35113 S9A 305 is $69. go figure?? same bottom case as Civic
Old 10-07-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Does my 2007 Civic have a immobilizer on the ignition switch?

You definitely have an immobilizer.

If you take it apart as to change battery, can you see a black rectangle on the PCB. I can on my 2010. But that may be different on 07.

One of my keys was eating batteries so when getting a new module the mechanic said he had to program both the fob & the key (I think my immobilizer is on the PCB) He has HDS.
Old 10-07-2015
Registered!!

On my 05 CRV, the immobilizer is on the key case 1/2 with the key since it will start key with the FOB part with the buttons and battery taken out. Have not tried that with Civic since Grand son is at school (worked on car yesterday when I noticed key)

Are you saying you think the immobilizer on your 2010 is in the alarm button part with battery Not sure what you mean by (PCB ???) (HDS ???)
If your Car is a 2010 Civic, it calls for the same key case , blank and transmitter as my 2007 at parts fish at College Auto...
Old 10-07-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I believe immobilizer RFID chip is on the board (printed circuit board)
Maybe not.

HDS is the electronic tool that the techs use for adjustments, and diagnostics.

I will check the manual for more info.
Old 10-07-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Sorry but if you change the key "shell" you will have to get the new one programmed as well. I would strongly suggest getting extra plain keys made as well. The plain key that does not include the key fob is usually only around $20-30. You can have a maximum of 6 keys total so you could have 2 fob keys and 4 plain keys. If in the future you ever did break another fob key you could just hang it off of your keychain like it was just a fob. If you get extra keys made you only have to pay the programming once. It doesn't cost more to program 3 keys compared to programming just 1.

Oops, sorry had it backwards. The shell doesn't contain the immobi ID the keyless transmitter does. So they shouldn't have to program, but I still suggest getting extra plain keys cut anytime you pay for programming

Last edited by mcnoople; 10-07-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2015
Registered!!

Did a little checking but still do not have Civic..The first attachment is the 05 CRV with the immobilizer on the key body. Just that part will start key all apart.
Second picture is how the 07 Civic with no part like that on key body looks. No pocket or extra wall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CRV 05.JPG
Views:	1021
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	88183   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic07_2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	88184  
Old 10-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Starting with 06 Civic the RFID chip is inside the transmitter on the circuit board.
So..
You can buy a blank shell with the key shaft and get that cut to fit your car.
Transfer your original transmitter into the new shell.
The transmitter contains the RFID chip and is already programmed to the car.
It will work this way.

Test it out(?):

Break off the metal key shaft and stick it in the ignition.
Try to start. It won't.
Turn off.
Hold the transmitter up with the key shaft and try to start.

It should start if you get the transmitter positioned correctly so the RFID chip is close enough to the receiver ring.
Old 10-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

01-05 Civic and 02-06 CRV (among some other cars) uses immobilizer type 3
06-11 Civic (among some other cars) uses immobilizer type 6
Old 10-07-2015
Registered!!

Thanks ezone, Now I just need to find out if I can see if service will cut it for me. Last time I talked to them, I had gone to parts to get the valet key made and they told me only service handled keys and my service man said $100 or $150 with alarm but that was to mate it too.

The metal key shaft broke out one corner and will actually turn and drop out, so I will double check it. Are they going to have trouble holding it to duplicate it?

While I have your attention, I replaced drive belt at 108K since it's hard to inspect. It actually looked perfect..totally amazing. However, I noticed this bracket with two holes and two tapped holes in block. It does not appear parallel to block but it is. The holes are just offset from the bracket. Is that to support engine with some type of spacer to remove motor mounts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	88185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1107.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	88186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1108.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	88187  
Old 10-07-2015

Last time I talked to them, I had gone to parts to get the valet key made and they told me only service handled keys and my service man said $100 or $150 with alarm but that was to mate it too.
In my store the parts dept sells and cuts the keys, and service does the programming.
If you bring in the car to be programmed it's all on one work order and you just flip out your credit card at the end.

=======

Stroll in and ask 'if you order a key through them does the price include cutting it to fit the car?' (You know, like a wallet key-- no programming needed, only works the door.... can't start the car. LOL)

then order the part number of the blank with empty shell.
Cut the blank, no programming.

If they will cut any key blank for a cheap enough price..... go internet ebay/amazon and get a cheaper one. with the right number of holes for the transmitter.

Local locksmith shop???

Are they going to have trouble holding it to duplicate it?
Our machine clamps lengthwise.
Or they can cut by VIN instead.

Take proof of ownership, prove you aren't a terrorist.

However, I noticed this bracket with two holes and two tapped holes in block. It does not appear parallel to block but it is. The holes are just offset from the bracket. Is that to support engine with some type of spacer to remove motor mounts?
The bracket is just there, it's not used by us (me) for anything (I really have no idea why it's there unless for something equipped elsewhere in the world)......

and you ought to fix that oil leak, it looks ugly.
Front crank seal, or tensioner cover?
Old 10-08-2015
Registered!!

Post this for a thread back that adds to this. Not sure why I could not find this the other day.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...p-removal.html

Appreciate all the help ezone, I did not pay much attention to that mess. It was pretty dry baked on. It's not wet under car or any drips and the crank is not leaking since I looked up under there. Probably from sloppy maintenance.
Old 10-08-2015

OP when they made you a valet key recently you had mentioned....is it a true valet, that wont open trunk, or floor opener cylinder ??
If it is not they could use it to copy from.

I got a flat metal key from the dealer (wont start the car) for $10 $5 for key & $5 to cut it)
Old 10-08-2015
Registered!!

All fixed up. $48. Did not need car..just proof of ownership. They cut it from the VIN number. The valet was cut as a full key as I recall. However, if not, the only thing it would not work is the lever on the drivers left floor. Interestingly, an 07 Civic Coupe EX has no glove box, trunk or passenger door key hole. I did not ask them if they would cut my blank. You can get one on Ebay for $2.00 up no less. Going to guess it's junk and that they wanted $50 to cut it to make myself fill better.

I think the picture I posted above in 9 on the bracket is to bolt the special Little Girl Japan crank locking tool and lock the engine to prevent motor mount damage for removing and torquing the damper pulley bolt.