Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Misfire in idle, burning smell near catconverter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luluharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Misfire in idle, burning smell near catconverter.

Hoping someone can at least help me on here... My 2007 civic coupe had the CEL come on, and I notice a burning smell near the back of the car...a few weeks in, it went to limp mode...severe lack
Of power. I did some troubleshooting and narrowed it down to one fuel injector, I brought it to a honda mechanic to get his opinion, and to get it fixed, by the time it was done, I spent 1500, on a new injector, and he had told me my pcm got corrupted. A few days after picking my car up, the cel came back on, and the car still was misfiring in idle, and there had been the same burning smell as before. When I brought it back to the mechanic, he of course told me it had nothing to do with the original problem and this time it was the other 3 fuel injectors that were apparently giving too much fuel into the cylinders, and need changing. None of what he is saying makes any logical sense to me....the code read from the second issue was the same as the first (system too rich)...and as for that burning smell, I asked him I he checked the cat converter and he said he did...but I'm wondering, could it be the o2 sensor near the converter, causing me this grief, and he's just money grabbing me!???? Help plz I need input! Thanks.
Old 09-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Misfire in idle, burning smell near catconverter.

Go elsewhere.
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luluharp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ezone...that was obviously a thought....but I'm looking for an opinion on what the problem could be...
Old 09-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a plain Civic coupe or an Si?
How many miles on the car?

What were previous code numbers?
What's the current code number?
Got any freeze frame data to go with the code?
Got a scanner that can display live datastream?

Is it still running in limp mode, and has it been that way since this began? (I assume you mean a significant loss of power)