Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

15 Ex CVT Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15EXCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
15 Ex CVT Noise

I purchased a new 15 ex coupe with cvt a few months back. It now has 6500 miles. I noticed shortly after I purchased that there is a noise that can heard in the cabin when the car is in drive or reverse and you are idling at a stop. I've not dicovered the right word to describe noise as it seems to be in between a tick and a knock like sound( but not like a motor knock). The sound does grow more rapid with the slight press of the accelerator and quickly dies out or seems to disappear. This is paricularly noticeable when easing along in a driveway or parking lot. It's like it only occurs at low rpm. The noise disappears instantly when vehicle is put into park. it seems to do it after the vehicle has warmed to operating temp and not so much when first cranked. I wasn't sure if this was a problem as I don't experience any other issues with the car and it's getting 40 + mpg trips. I mentioned it to my service manager ocver the phone but I don't trust him now because he told me it was just the direct injection which this vehicle does not have.

Has anyone else experienced this noise with cvt on the 14 or 15 year models?

I'll try to post a video of the sound from inside the cabin.
Old 07-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15 Ex CVT Noise

but I don't trust him now
Don't worry about that, we in the business tend to blur all the cars together, especially on the spur of the moment.....

I sure can't remember all the minute differences between some of the cars unless it's right in front of me.

15 ex coupe with cvt a few months back. It now has 6500 miles. I noticed shortly after I purchased that there is a noise
It's under warranty. Take it in.
DEMONSTRATE YOUR NOISE to the technician or advisor.

Nobody has half a chance to get it right unless you show them exactly what your problem is.

AND go compare to another new car on the lot, just to see if it's normal or not..

Verify it's solved before you leave the lot. If it isn't right, show them what's wrong.
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

I can't seem to get my camera to pick the noise up real good so I will post two videos.

The first is from inside the car, in drive and moving very slowly.

Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

This is in drive, sitting still from inside and outside.

Old 07-15-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Both videos seem to be set to private
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Both videos seem to be set to private
Sorry..I've removed the restriction.
Old 07-16-2015

Um......See what your dealer says.

And drive another identical car, see if there are any on the used lot that already have a few miles on them. See if it is similar or not.
Old 07-30-2015
Registered!!

A little update on this..

After paying close attention to the noise i've determined a few things about it.

1. occurs only in drive/reverse
2. only occurs after driving and reached operating temp.
3. sound speeds up when slightly pressing gas
4. Sounds like a light helicopter propeller
5. seems to be present more when motor under load - example - pressing gas slightly to drive up inclined driveway.

I also had an issue where i made a left turn onto a side ride and when i pressed the gas to accelerate the transmission felt bogged and began to shimmy and jerk. It seemed like when you don't give a manual tranny proper clutch. I thought it was going to cut off. This has now happened twice so i'm taking it to a dealer.
Old 07-30-2015

so i'm taking it to a dealer.
Take them (advisor, shop foreman, or tech) for a ride and demonstrate your concerns so everyone involved knows exactly what your problem is.