Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 how long could cv joints last?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jferristx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2006 how long could cv joints last?

I've had 5 previous Honda's (4 Civics and an Accord), and all of them were quite obvious with letting my know of CV joint issues (what's the clicking noise????)

My 2006 just crossed 170K. And not a sound. None of the others made it to 100K without needing replacement. So, a) are they better designed and have a longer life, b) I'm lucky, c) I'm deaf, or d) they are silently fading and waiting for me to be in rush hour traffic so they can slide out and drop my car on the front end in the middle of 4 lanes blocking thousands of people who will salute me with one finger as they work their way around my wreck while waiting for a tow truck.

Right now, I'm betting on c or d.

Seriously, I can't believe it's better engineering. It's a daily drive on mostly Interstate-like roads in very good condition. Tire wear is very even, no shakes or shimmy while driving or stopping, no howls, clicks, or screeches, no bad tracking when cornering.

?
Old 07-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2006 how long could cv joints last?

I got 200k out of my 01's and I only replaced it because the boot was torn and slinging grease everywhere.

I have never had any issues with Honda CV's lasting.
Old 07-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the boots stay together they seem to last a long time. The boots these days are pretty dang tough IMO

If a boot gets split open and slings its grease out, the joint goes bad quick.
Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jferristx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Both answers work for me. I regularly inspect them, so I should see it coming.