Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Honda Civic Si Emergency Trunk Latch Fails!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam925 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Honda Civic Si Emergency Trunk Latch Fails!

I recently got a flat tire and when i went to pop the trunk to get the spare ...i have had nothing but a headache ever since. My trunk will not open. I have read many Honda forums about this issue, I even took it into a Honda Service center. There is a Design flaw with ONLY the 2006 Civic si 2Dr Coupe they decided to make it Key less entry. Trunk is opened with a button on your Key as well as a latch you can pull on the driver side door. If you think you can get into the trunk through the back seat your absolutely Wrong! unless your stretch armstrong. The Local Honda service center said they would have to cut a hole in my seat... and i would have to replace it $$$ One tech recommended i purchase a "snake cam" and try it that way... After a Phone call to American Honda Corp. They said it is not a safety issue and basically there's nothing they can do to help me. Well... i took it upon myself and took the back seat out.... unbolted a few bolts... to where i was able to part the seats enough to slide my arm through... but couldnt reach the seat latch to make the seats fold down... MAJOR DESIGN FLAW...!!! took a broom stick... and got the seats to fold down. Crawled in the trunk and at the back of the trunk clear as day...EVEN GLOWS IN THE DARK (Emergency Trunk Latch slide to the left) so i slide the handle to the left... and NOTHING... TRUNK STILL WONT OPEN... now i ask you HONDA.... HOW IS THIS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE????? they will fight it till someone dies...from this.... THEY DONT LIKE ADDMITTING DESIGN FLAWS or Coming out of pocket to do a Recall.. Now i know knot everyone has had this Problem.... but i asked Honda if trunks just go out... they said Yes.... WELL then what the **** is that Emergency Latch for? Please indulge me with your response of bs.... i cant wait to hear it... The Pics below are the damage i did just to get inside my trunk.... to attempt the Emergency Trunk Latch. Trunk is Still not open to this day! on Honda's Customer Service
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150621_163315.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	87828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150621_163339.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	87829   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150621_163413.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	87830  
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

So... here I am about 12 months later. Guess what....? My trunk is now open... and how did I get it open you ask? Well let's review. I took a crowbar/pry bar to it, didn't work..just caused more damage. I had a locksmith look at it.. said he would have to drill it causing body/cosmetic damage would be about $350 -$500 ...Honda wanted to cut a hole in my seat then crawl into the trunk and go from there......I said **** that to all those ideas...went trunk less for over12 months. Then left target one day and went over a speed bump and "PRESTO"..open trunk light on my dashboard... what was the cause.... A Poor Design from Honda with a cheap trunk lock made out of plastic and steel. In the end I had to buy a new rear trunk/speaker tray liner. A new trunk lock, some touch up paint, and a reminder that Honda ****ing owes !!! Safety issue written all over this episode!
Old 02-27-2016
GOT SAND?

Dooner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 Honda Civic Si Emergency Trunk Latch Fails!

Wow. Sorry to read your experience. That really sux. Hope you got things back to normal on the car. I never was a fan of "keyless" anything. At the very least, if it had a lock, you could drill it out. Bummer.
Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Dooner
Wow. Sorry to read your experience. That really sux. Hope you got things back to normal on the car. I never was a fan of "keyless" anything. At the very least, if it had a lock, you could drill it out. Bummer.
I Still don't understand why honda said that it was not a safety issue I guess I would of had to lock my kid in the trunk for it to be safety related... even then, think they would of helped?
Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

My 2007 does not have a key hole in the trunk or passenger door. My 46 Truck only has a key hole in the passenger door. Go figure? HA Someone told me that did not considered it safe to lock the truck from the drivers side. And It was no problem to slide over. Sure am glad that at least they did not do that to my Civic.
I think if you had pushed the butt cushion back, it slides out of the notches and comes out. Then you can release the back at the bottom and it comes up. I THINK..way my 94 was but that is pretty antique. Ezone will will correct me shortly. Probably wrong since they may have locked that up by now. Does appear you may be able to get to the one bolt for the butt cushion and maybe even the back if you can get the side padding wedged back.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-27-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

huh...
missed this... Not even sure what goes into the minds of people to post a mechanical problem in the "site tips" section... Who knows... desperation, i guess... Thread moved out to the correct section!
Old 03-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adam925
I guess I would of had to lock my kid in the trunk
The Department of Childrens Protective Services would like to have a word with you...
Old 04-23-2017
Registered!!

lester tharp is an unknown quantity at this point

i have read all the posts concerning the trunk issues, thank you
Now, does anyone have a solution to getting into my civic si trunk as nothing seems to work, dont want to tear everything apart
thank you
lester tharp
Old 04-23-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what broke?
Cable problem, electric release problem, or the latch itself failed?
Remove handle set from drivers floor, try to operate the release cable manually

In the shop, I'd probably try to go through the 60/40 split rear folding seat seat and try to catch the hostage release lever with a tool.

Wedge something between the upper sections to spread them apart far enough to see into the trunk
Shine a good flashlight through the opening so you can see the trunk latch and hostage release
I have some tools made from long steel rods (one from a lockout kit, we call them breaking and entering tools....another made from a trunk lid torsion spring) that are strong enough to push the hostage release from 4 feet away.
Old 04-23-2017
Registered!!

Thank you so much
I was able to pry seat apart enough to get my arm and hand to unlock seat latch
thst was very tough to do, but I can get to the trunk now and going to replace the trunk latch
again your help is much appreciated
ledter Tharp
Old 04-23-2017

Oh cool, I didn't think you would be able to get enough room to reach an arm in to release the seatback.
Old 04-23-2017
Registered!!

Re: 00 honda civic lx overheating

I took bolt out of the 40 seat and put a short board in and prayed seat out enough to get my arm in, I think I was just lucky to be honest with you😀
Old 11-19-2019
Registered!!

destrada6 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/hel...en-help.98126/

Go to the last page of this thread. Following their instructions I stuck the handle of a spoon into the hole where the passenger side carseat anchor is. You can catch the cable that releases the seat and pull it open.