Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 Civic AC Clutch won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davidezerron is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Civic AC Clutch won't engage

I have checked and swapped all the fuses. The compressor does not kick in. I cannot measure or add refrigerant if the compressor is not engaging, so does anyone know how to jump the compressor to get it to start on the 3 wire relay. With the 2 wire systems it was easy to jump the compressor and force it to start. Otherwise, how can I debug the system.

I have a good deal of mechanical knowledge and have jumped the compressor on my older 2000 infinity, but I don't know what I'm doing here. I definitely think that I am low on refrigerant, as the air wasn't blowing as cold gradually and then one day the compressor stopped engaging even though the green light goes on in the dash and the fans behind the radiator kick in.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Civic AC Clutch won't engage

If it were low of freon, so low that it completely quit operating, I think the fans would not kick on when you try to turn the AC on.
Here's a thread dealing with what you ask from yesterday, there's some info there I don't feel like retyping..
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...007-civic.html

----

On to your problem:

If it were low of freon, so low that it completely quit operating, I think the fans would not kick on.
So therefore I don't think your system is empty.
It may be low or maybe not, but it's not kicking on because of a different issue. Usually electrical.

Go locate the compressor clutch relay in the engine compartment fusebox.

Relay position #12 in this diagram

Start the engine, turn on the AC.

Fans are running? Yes.

Tap on the clutch relay (#12) with something about the size of a screwdriver handle, listen for the clutch to click on and the AC to start working.
(Or swap with an identical relay, just to test and see if it will work)

If it kicks on, that relay is bad.
Replace it.
There is an updated improved relay available from your Honda dealer. Brand name is MITSUBA. Holler if you want the Honda part number.
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davidezerron is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done that and swapped out the relays with the similar ones in the fuse box to see indeed if that was the issue. The compressor was kicking in a week ago and I got a guage on the low side and saw that the level was low given the outside ambient temperature. It was cooling but very little. This is my wifes car, so she drove it for the next week and when the weekend came, and I had bought some refrigerant to top it up, that is when the clutch stopped engaging. According to what I know, the fans run regardless of the internal pressure of the refrigerant in the lines. And unfortunately you cannot add refrigerant into the system, without one of those service station machines which evacuate and then replenish the system, unless the compressor kicks in. So again, I need to see how I can jump the compressor to see if it will engage so I can see if indeed it is now in safe mode because the system is undercharged. Thanks, I did look at the 2007 article before posting this one by the way.
Old 05-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the static system pressure was below about 30 PSI the compressor operation would be locked out by the PCM.

If you connect your freon to the low side and open the valve and wait, the static system pressure should rise as new freon enters the system, until the system pressure equals the can pressure. Once system pressure goes above about 30 PSI the compressor should be enabled by the PCM and engage and run on its own if the engine is running and the AC is turned on.

If you just want to make the compressor run (assuming it is able to run), you can remove the clutch relay and jumper the two large terminals in the relay socket with a paper clip (or similar).

Diagram: Jumper terminals 3 and 5 in the socket with a paper clip

This should make the AC clutch kick on no matter if the engine is running or not.

HTH