Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New rotor and brakes makes squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
masongap is an unknown quantity at this point
New rotor and brakes makes squeaking noise

I have a 2009 Civic LX and had new rotors and pads installed on them yesterday.

The rotors are by Meyle and the pads are OEM.

I've noticed that after a cold start when I apply the brakes it makes a squeling sound on the first couple of presses.

So my question is, could it be the rotors need to be OEM? I've had this problem before but the pads were worn and the rotors were resurfaced but now that I've got new rotors and pads the same problem is still happening.
Old 05-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New rotor and brakes makes squeaking noise

and the pads are OEM.
What was the part number of those pads?
Old 05-23-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What was the part number of those pads?
I'm not sure because it was installed by a local auto shop. But maybe it is the pads because I got them replaced at the same shop last time and the same grinding/squeaking sound happened.
Old 05-23-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the part numbers are printed on your receipt?

Honda offers more than one choice of brake pad for front brakes on the cars, that's why I ask.

Choice of original type -- some people complained of short brake life with them,

or a longer life pad-- that 'might make a little more noise' as a trade off for longer life, according to Honda.

I'll guess they got you the longer life brakes, if they got you brakes from a Honda dealer.
(I don't think I've ever had complaints about noise though.)

No big deal, as long as they stop the car safely!
Old 05-23-2015
Registered!!

It's just very bothersome. Anytime I leave my car outside for more than 2 hours on a cold day it makes a horrible grind like rusty metal rubbing on each other at the first three stops.

It's so bad that people just stop and stare. I don't know of any other cars that does this even models older than 2009.

Can drum brakes make grinding noise?

Last edited by masongap; 05-23-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2015

Anytime I leave my car outside for more than 2 hours on a cold day it makes a horrible grind like rusty metal rubbing on each other at the first three stops.
Doesn't seem right at all. Take it back, have it rechecked?

Maybe the brakes haven't been 'bedded in' yet?

I know that immediately after I do a brake job, the first drive and the first couple stops are noisy but it gets much quieter after several stops as the brakes wear in.

Maybe they didn't really use Honda brakes?
Maybe O.E.M. is a brand name? (It really is a brand name, made in China junk bit I don't know that they make brakes yet.)
A brake seller may claim OEM, but what you are buying may not be the same as what you think.

"OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Translation: A component manufactured by a third-party company and selected for use in the original vehicle. An OEM manufacturer will typically manufacture their part based on specifications and designs supplied to them by the vehicle manufacturer."

The brake maker could have been an OEM supplier (to some company, may not even be Honda), but the brakes purchased at the local parts store may not be the same formula as what the factory put on the car.

I can think of a lot of maybes here, but only the shop and car has the answers-- unless you want to take apart all their work to reinspect it.

More, if you care to take apart the brakes to check:
The original factory-installed style brake pad is stamped with the makers ID NS236H
The longer life type is stamped with the makers ID NS265H
Old 05-23-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

i did my front brakes and Rotors myself last year using Monroe rotors & ATE Ceramic pads & i have no issues to report back on as far as wear or noise i did find however the "ATE Pads" a little to snug to install out of the Box. so what i did ?... and the secret to making any snug brake pad fit in a brake

caliper braket to a O.E.M Fit IS...? taking a small metal file and filling just enough material around the outside of the (outer metal ears)
that slide into the brake caliper braket enough. so i filed a little tryd again not enough, filed a little more

until they easily went in using my two fingers. with just enough filling they will go on and come off with ease and Fit just like any O.E.M.

Last edited by brags; 05-23-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

I took it back to the shop. Upon my urging he replaced the pads and installed one ordered directly from the dealer. I picked it up with him.

The part number on the dealer pad was 45022-SNE-A51, which is for the Civic EX not LX but I don't think it matters.

It also had the marking NS265H like you mentioned but so did the one he took out. The dealer pads seem much smoother though, it only makes slight squeek instead of the grind so far.

Last edited by masongap; 05-26-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2015

Upon my urging
Not sure why a second replacement was necessary.

If there was nothing done wrong with the brake installation, then it sounds like your issue may just be normal for those pads. (I can't see why the brand of rotor would make any difference, but you never know.)

Is the noise still the same?
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

The owner said he got the first one from a wholesaler.

it sounds better. Doesn't make the grinding sound anymore. Just a little squeek on the first stop. Thank you for your help.