Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2013 Civic Surges with Multiple CEL's

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F1wanabe is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 Civic Surges with Multiple CEL's

Looking for advice from the forum. My wife had a scary thing happen Friday. She was pulling out of a parking spot when the car lurched backwards. She stomped on the brakes and the car was fighting them. When she tried to pull back into the spot, the car lurched forward and clunked, then wouldn't move. She called me because she didn't know what to do, so I told her to record it for Honda to see.

Looks harmless, but trying to drive through a parking lot with the car surging between 1500-2000 rpms was kind of scary to her.

Honda called in a factory rep and says that the Engine Management software needed to be updated. It went into this error mode because it could not sense the coolant temp. We are picking it up tomorrow but of course are nervous.

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 Civic Surges with Multiple CEL's

Originally Posted by F1wanabe

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?
When the engine computer detects a problem and sets a code, many other systems that rely on the engine computer ALSO set fault codes....that would explain why so many idiot lights come on.

As for the software updates, I have no way of knowing if that's right or not, as you did not give any fault code data and I have no way of knowing what your dealer found out.

If your dealer fixes it, then drive happy. If it isn't fixed when you get it back, go right back to the shop.