Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2010 AC Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prowl is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 AC Failure

I have a 2010 where the AC has failed.

The AC light comes on but the clutch does not try to engage. I have searched and see many responses to this issue except in my case, the radiator fans do not turn on when the AC is turned on.

Looking for ideas of where I should troubleshoot, since I get the feeling I shouldn't be looking at the clutch since the fans don't run.

Have run the HVAC self diagnostics and receive no codes.

another note the blower fan does run.

Thanks for any help.

prowl
Old 04-17-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2010 AC Failure

How do your fuses look?
Old 04-17-2015
Registered!!

haven't checked all the fuses yet. Currently reviewing those now, but documentation doesn't state what fuses protect the AC relay's and fans, so still searching. From other model years though it looks like the blower motor relay is on the same one, so that makes me think it isn't a fuse. Though still looking at the under dash ones.

engine fuses are good.
Old 04-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST you need to know if the system has lost its refrigerant.
If the system pressure is too low, it will be prohibited from operating.
Old 04-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
FIRST you need to know if the system has lost its refrigerant.
If the system pressure is too low, it will be prohibited from operating.
I went out removed the low pressure cap and when I pushed it in there was a hiss, did the same on the high pressure side and the hiss was their but it died off right away. Went back to the low side and tried, and no more hiss.

So no pressure in the system, guess i'll have to take it in to get it refilled/checked to find the leak.

Thanks

prowl
Old 04-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

EDIT: I didn't read, ignore this.
Old 04-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prowl

So no pressure in the system, guess i'll have to take it in to get it refilled/checked to find the leak.

Thanks

prowl
You might look through the grille openings at the AC condensor. Rocks and road debris can occasionally puncture the condensor.

Otherwise, look for oily stains on AC hoses and pipes and around connections/fittings. Oil stains (refrigerant oil) and dirt stuck in the oil stains indicate likely leakage points.

Unscrupulous shops have been known to remove freon as a way to generate more business... (used to be a lot worse when the old r-12 freon prices went sky high). Steal it in the winter when nobody would notice, wait for summer to roll around when the people NEED the AC.