Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problems with door locks - 2008 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems with door locks - 2008 Civic

I have a 2008 Civic DX with manual key entry. Recently the driver's door lock refused to accept the key. The problem had been building for a few months, but no amounts of graphite, oil, or WD40 solved the issue - only a replacement would fix it.

I noted on the web that quite a few owners of Hondas have had similar issues. See for example:

http://gotaclassaction.com/honda-nam...cr-v-vehicles/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...blem/index.htm

http://repairpal.com/door-lock-may-b...k-tumblers-502

A similar problem with earlier models is covered by Honda Service Bulletin A03-068.

A search on Google will turn up more examples.

Based on the commonality of the issue, I phoned the Honda national office, and told them I was not happy with this, as Honda has such a good reputation for reliability. It appears that Honda knows about the recent problem, and the service people at my dealer told me they have seen quite a few of these. The head office did agree that they would pay for the cost of the new key cylinder lock, but that I would still have to pay for the installation and recoding to my key - that alone came to about $160.

It seems to me that if Honda is willing to cover the cost of the part, even out of warranty, then they are tacitly admitting that they know they have a poorly designed part, even if they have not yet issued a general recall on this for Civic (and maybe other model) owners. And if they are willing to pay for the part, then why should we have to pay for the installation?

Anyway, the problem is now fixed, yet I can only hope it does not happen again with another lock. I encourage anyone else with lock problems to complain to the national office, and maybe Honda will take further action.
Old 03-20-2015
Registered!!

shadling is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Problems with door locks - 2008 Civic

I had the same problem with my '07 trunk lock. The dealer offered to replace the lock for $300. I took it to a locksmith and he replaced the tumblers for $30. He said the problem is that the key is made of a harder material than the tumblers and this causes the tumblers to fail over time.
Old 03-20-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, locks do wear out. So can keys.

Periodic lubrication may help extend their lifetime, but trying to lube AFTER there is a problem usually doesn't help much.

The people that don't have or use keyless entry DO tend wear out their locks.

OTOH some of those that use keyless entry tend to have locks that stick tumblers --- due to lack of use. Sometimes a shot of penetrating oil can help this one.

Eventually this problem will happen to the ignition lock too, as it is used every time you start the engine. I regularly replace tumblers in them, and of course there is a labor fee.
I don't get to rebuild door or trunk locks very often, most of our customers do have keyless and use it.

Around my town, the dealer is the only one that has the tumblers for the sidewinder locks. So far the local lock shops here don't, they either remove the offending tumblers or they send the work to me. (A lock without any tumblers isn't really a lock anymore.)

HTH
Old 03-24-2015
Registered!!

Too funny and ironic - Honda has just launched its "Unlock a Deal" event, using the catchphrase "Happiness is Unlocking Your Honda". You can only know how wonderful it is to be able to unlock your Honda when you find one day that you cannot!

ezone,you are right that locks might eventually wear out, but in the four decades I have owned vehicles, this is the first time I've had a lock fail, so it does not give me warm fuzzy feelings about Honda.

Last edited by rhvic; 03-30-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

MyCivic88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have problems getting the horn to sound when locking my 2009 Civic occasionally. The doors will lock but, the horn will not sound. Sometimes if I keep pressing the button it will eventually honk. Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MyCivic88
I have problems getting the horn to sound when locking my 2009 Civic occasionally. The doors will lock but, the horn will not sound. Sometimes if I keep pressing the button it will eventually honk. Any suggestions?
Make sure the hood and trunk are closed?
Press lock button on the remote 3 times in a row?

Ever have issues with honking the horn using the steering wheel?
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Make sure the hood and trunk are closed?
Press lock button on the remote 3 times in a row?

Ever have issues with honking the horn using the steering wheel?
Yes, not lately but, there was a period of time when the horn would not work and then it would. It would cycle back and for a couple of times in a 24 hour period.
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Hood and trunk are always closed. I will try the button 3 times in a row tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2015

Yes, not lately but, there was a period of time when the horn would not work and then it would. It would cycle back and for a couple of times in a 24 hour period.
Sounds like it may not be a keyless issue, it may be a horn relay issue instead?
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Battery in the remote might be bad...That's exactly what happened with my 2006.
Most of the time it was fine, but every now and then I'd have to press it two or three times before it would beep.

Then I had to press it two or three times to lock, and another 2 or 3 times to beep.

The little light at the auto-store told me my battery was good, but I replaced it anyways. Boom, not a problem since.

That was around 2 years ago, and your car is 2 years newer than that one (my wife's var now)
Assuming you and I used the key a similar amount of times, it would appear to be very likely.

Regardless, it's an incredibly cheap fix if it works, and if it doesn't you aren't out any real money.

I've read you can get a 5 pack of the batteries on eBay for 1$.
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

To be clear, my remote (at first) would ALWAYS lock the door, but SOMETIMES wouldn't activate the beep. This slowly changed from an issue with just the beep, to an issue with the locking itself.
Old 03-31-2015

Originally Posted by jordan1794
To be clear, my remote (at first) would ALWAYS lock the door, but SOMETIMES wouldn't activate the beep. This slowly changed from an issue with just the beep, to an issue with the locking itself.
Did you ever notice if the red light on the fob was lighting up every time you push the button?
Did the light get dimmer as the battery weakened?

OP, check that too?
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Where is the horn relay?
Old 03-31-2015

Where is the horn relay?
Ehhhh---2009--it's built in to the MICU section of the dash fusebox.
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you ever notice if the red light on the fob was lighting up every time you push the button?
Did the light get dimmer as the battery weakened?

OP, check that too?
I never looked at the light to be honest, until it was already almost dead...at which point it didn't even light up (Or was so dim I was unable to see it during the daylight)
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

To get back to the original topic of this thread (a bad door cylinder lock which needed to be replaced) I have now written to Honda asking them to step up and pay for the installation costs ($168) which I had to pay to have the new cylinder put in. My logic is that if Honda is willing to pay for the defective part even out of warranty, they have tacitly admitted that there is a problem with the part design. My counter argument is that if they admit there is a problem, then the vehicle owner should not get stuck with the installation charge.

I'll let you know how they respond.
Old 04-23-2015
Registered!!

Honda has now responded to my request, and they have declined to pay for the installation of the new lock cylinder. This is apparently "...for the equitable treatment of all our valued customers..."

I suggest that all Honda owners with lock problems contact them to let them know they are unhappy. Perhaps then Honda will initiate a recall on this defective part and cover everybody for parts and labor - that would be equitable for all their valued customers!

So this really does give a new meaning to their ad campaign slogan of "Happiness is unlocking your Honda". Will they dare to continue using this slogan?
Old 10-23-2016
Registered!!

Well, a brief follow-up to my last post. I wondered whether Honda would continue to use their ad campaign with the slogan "Happiness is unlocking your Honda". Apparently not, as there has been no mention of this slogan in 2016. I think they are sensitive to the door lock issue, even if they really do not want to step up and take ownership of the issue and cover repair costs. At least their marketing arm has decided to no longer be cynical.
Old 10-23-2016

The head office did agree that they would pay for the cost of the new key cylinder lock, but that I would still have to pay for the installation and recoding to my key - that alone came to about $160.......

Anyway, the problem is now fixed....
The manufacturers participation in covering ANY portion of your repair cost is called "good will".

Based on your continued postings here, I'm not seeing the same 'good will' from yourself. You don't seem the least bit thankful that the manufacturer stepped up to help you out in any way, even though the cars warranty period expired many years prior to the event.
"Ungrateful ___" comes to mind.

even if they really do not want to step up and take ownership of the issue and cover repair costs
Ownership??
Hondas obligations ended the moment the warranty period was over.

At some point you must accept that you own the car, and all the problems that come with it.
Old 02-03-2021
Registered!!

Chrissy40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rhvic
I have a 2008 Civic DX with manual key entry. Recently the driver's door lock refused to accept the key. The problem had been building for a few months, but no amounts of graphite, oil, or WD40 solved the issue - only a replacement would fix it.

I noted on the web that quite a few owners of Hondas have had similar issues. See for example:

http://gotaclassaction.com/honda-nam...cr-v-vehicles/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...blem/index.htm

http://repairpal.com/door-lock-may-b...k-tumblers-502

A similar problem with earlier models is covered by Honda Service Bulletin A03-068.

A search on Google will turn up more examples.

Based on the commonality of the issue, I phoned the Honda national office, and told them I was not happy with this, as Honda has such a good reputation for reliability. It appears that Honda knows about the recent problem, and the service people at my dealer told me they have seen quite a few of these. The head office did agree that they would pay for the cost of the new key cylinder lock, but that I would still have to pay for the installation and recoding to my key - that alone came to about $160.

It seems to me that if Honda is willing to cover the cost of the part, even out of warranty, then they are tacitly admitting that they know they have a poorly designed part, even if they have not yet issued a general recall on this for Civic (and maybe other model) owners. And if they are willing to pay for the part, then why should we have to pay for the installation?

Anyway, the problem is now fixed, yet I can only hope it does not happen again with another lock. I encourage anyone else with lock problems to complain to the national office, and maybe Honda will take further action.
Im having the same exact issue with my door as well and it’s been acting up for awhile now. I jus wld like to know how much a cylinder wld cost me for the door? It’s a 2008 Honda Civic as well