Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Two questions about my new Civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carta is an unknown quantity at this point
Two questions about my new Civic

Just bought a 2015 Civic SE. After having owned a 2001 LX and a 2007 LX, I'm very pleased and surprised by the 2015. It's quiet, spunky, and mentally challenging. That's why I'm writing...I'm having to read the owners manual and guide PDFs.

I can't seem to find how I can turn off the Lane Watch display when I want. Usually this is at night--there's just too much light when I make a right turn. I can push the turn signal stalk button but that turns it off until the next flip of the signal for a right turn. I like Lane Watch; just want to cut down on it popping up every time I make a turn.

My other question is when you're playing music wireless from a connected iPhone or from a connected flash/thumb drive, how do you pause the song that's playing? I came across it randomly it seems and now I can't figure it out no-matter how many buttons and menus I touch.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Two questions about my new Civic

I can't seem to find how I can turn off the Lane Watch display when I want. Usually this is at night--there's just too much light when I make a right turn. I can push the turn signal stalk button but that turns it off until the next flip of the signal for a right turn. I like Lane Watch; just want to cut down on it popping up every time I make a turn.
Oooh, I've wondered if someone would complain about that.

I haven't noticed any menu option to turn it off.
Can you adjust the brightness of the display (for nighttime setting/headlights on, if possible)?

My other question is when you're playing music wireless from a connected iPhone or from a connected flash/thumb drive, how do you pause the song that's playing? I came across it randomly it seems and now I can't figure it out no-matter how many buttons and menus I touch.
I can't answer that (my cell phone has a rotary dial) and I don't mess with customers stuff or settings.
Old 02-28-2015
Registered!!

There is a physical button at the top-right of the touchscreen display. It has sun and moon icons printed on it. Tapping once brings it to the nighttime low-illumination display mode. Tapping once more turns it off completely.

Except when you're making a right turn. Then it lights up in all its distracting, annoying glory. I love this Civic. It's sorta like a cross between a Mazda and a Buick, well, IMHO anyway.

Regardless, I've got to find the way to turn it off during a trip. I'm sure some way was designed to keep it off when the driver doesn't welcome the nighttime distraction.

Besides, going incognito on a spy mission is futile in this car!
Old 02-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking maybe it would dim a bit if you adjust the dash light brightness.... Then I started looking around.

The owners manual is FULL of handy information! You should read it!

Copied from the Sedan owners manual:

■ Customizing the LaneWatch settings
You can customize the following items using the audio/information screen.
• Show with Turn Signal: Selects whether LaneWatch monitor comes on when you operate the turn signal light lever.
• Display Time after Turn Signal Off: Changes the length of time the LaneWatch display stays on after you pull the turn signal lever back.
• Reference Lines: Selects whether the reference lines appear on the LaneWatch monitor.
• Next Maneuver Pop up*: Selects whether a turn direction screen of the navigation system interrupts the LaneWatch display.
• Display: Allows for display adjustments of items, such as brightness, and tint. This setting is part of the Audio setup group.

Customized Features* P. 233

Start on page 233 and go forward, it shows the various menus and all the stuff you can adjust/play with/mess up LOL

So you should be able to "disconnect" the link to the turn signal lever there.

Coupe owners manual may not have the same page numbers.

I think some devices must be manually paused, some devices are not 100% compatible with the car controls. IDK, I try to avoid this stuff. We have a young person in the service drive to handle most of the phone and gizmo-techy stuff for us.

HTH
Old 03-01-2015
Registered!!

That solved it! Thank you for the simplest, most direct solution. I'd been reading the Owner's Guide PDF last weekend but put it away after I figured out the heating-cooling controls. Big mistake.

The trick is to use the touchscreen (or whatever Honda calls it) and it's Settings control. In there is the Camera > LaneWatch controls. I'd actually been in there after a day of driving to change the time that LaneWatch stays on. Argh! It's cool that so much can be controlled but remembering where things are and how to get back to them is difficult. There's so much to do.

Thanks for your response that sent me to the Manual and Guide.