Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2014 Honda Civic LX CVT Sedan Vibration--Less than 10k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDelaney94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2014 Honda Civic LX CVT Sedan Vibration--Less than 10k miles

Hello, I am new to the forums here so please bare with me as I learn the ins and outs.

I leased a 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan with the CVT transmission back on March 18th, 2014 and it has been smooth sailing until about a month/month and a half ago when I began to feel a pretty noticeable vibration/shimmer in the vehicle. I live in Ohio and it has been pretty snowy as of late and the temperature has been negative quite a few times but I don't believe this has anything to do with it. I have left my car sit inside a heated garage for hours to allow all ice/snow to melt off of it to see if the vibration/shimmer stops but it doesn't.

I believe the vibration/shimmer is being caused by the transmission. Whenever taking off from a stop or slowing down to make a turn and accelerating again I will gradually build the RPM's to around 2,000. I call it my "sweet spot" because its not too little and not too much acceleration so I will build up to around 2,000 RPM and hold it there. Anyway, from a stop or a slow speed around 2,000 RPM the whole vehicle vibrates/shimmers (front end, my seat, I can feel it in the steering wheel, etc). It is a lot less noticeable about 55 mph... and if I gun it up to 3-4k RPM the vibration/shimmer is non-existent. I want to take it to the dealership to have it looked at, but in the mean-time would like some input from here so I hope that someone can help me, please!

On a side note, does anyone know off the top of their head if I will be charged to have it looked at? My guess is they will charge me but I don't want to be charged 95+ dollars for them to say nothing is wrong when something is obviously not right. The car has less than 10,000 miles. Thank you to anyone that answers!
Old 02-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: 2014 Honda Civic LX CVT Sedan Vibration--Less than 10k miles

Diagnostic fee at my dealership is 50$

Did you buy it from them? My dealership has thrown in quite a few "freebies" because I bought a new car from them.

(Deep cleaned my 2006, gave me new car mats for the 2006, free can of touch-up paint for the 2014, etc.)

EDIT:I can't read apparently

I leased a 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan with the CVT transmission back on
Old 02-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The car is under warranty, yes? Yes.

Go to your dealer.
Do not just drop the car off without demonstrating your problem!
Get someone to go for a ride (preferably the tech) so you can SHOW THEM what your complaint is exactly, and all people involved are on the same page.

Try to keep the test drive to 5 minutes or less. Our time is money, you know.

If they say it's normal for the car, then grab a new one off the lot and take it for a test drive to verify. (I believe 15 and 14 are probably similar enough to suffice)

Diagnostic fee at my dealership is 50$
That's dirt cheap.
EDIT:I can't read apparently
Wanna borrow my glasses?
Old 02-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDelaney94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses, I will most likely be taking it in sometime in the first half of March. Just hope its not a major issue. Whenever googling to find articles on any other civic owners feeling vibrations I can never find one pertaining to the 2014 model probably because its so new yet. Wish me luck, and thanks again!
Old 02-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I leased a 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan with the CVT transmission back on March 18th, 2014
I will most likely be taking it in sometime in the first half of March.
I'd say to get in there NOW, long before the first year is up.

First year is important when it comes to warranty matters, as there are some things that are no longer covered after the 12 months/12,000 mile period has run out.
That's 12 months/12,000 miles, whichever comes first

You want to get this figured out and/or resolved before the first year is up, that might mean more than one visit to the dealer.