Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Car not starting only in mornings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ali8461 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Car not starting only in mornings?

Hey guys! Need some help. 2006 civic ex. For the last week, when I start my car in the mornings, it turns over but hesitates to start. Throughout the rest of the day, it starts fine.. even if it's sitting all day at work and I leave in the evening times.. it still starts up fine. I just had the battery changed 3 weeks ago at my local Honda dealer. So I went back there and had it tested... battery is optimal. It started fine 3 days after that (go figure!) but this morning.. it did it again. Turned over 3 times.. hesitate to start and finally started the 4th time I tried, it started up. Can't figure out what it could be and Honda had no real solid suggestions without spending endless (and I'm sure unnecessary) money in finding out what it could be.
Old 10-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Car not starting only in mornings?

Check your cables to make sure you have good connections.

When you turn the key, do all your dash lights stay on strong, or do they flicker?

I've heard the battery negative to the chassis has a bolt that can get quite corroded.
Worth checking the positive and negative battery terminals too for corrosion.

Could also be a starter going bad, my 2006 Just had to be replaced a few months back,and I've seen a couple posts about it recently in the 2006-2008 range.

That actually is exactly what my 2006 did.
Occasional problems started about a year prior, and became more and more frequent until it just wouldn't start at all one day.

If you turn the key and hold it, does it keep trying to start, or does it chug a few times and then stop completely? If it's the starter it might chug a few times, then just stop, whereas if it isn't it should just keep going
(I wouldn't hold it longer than 4 or 5 seconds though)
Old 10-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check to see if the temp sensor is showing the right number. You will have to use a scanner capable of more than just codes.

I had the same problem on another car. Found out the ECU thought it was -48 when it was 60 degrees. Real problem was a broken wire.

-SP
Old 10-21-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

it turns over but hesitates to start.
Ambiguous terms.
Elaborate about this description.