Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 @ 200k What needs replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 @ 200k What needs replaced?

This car has been very reliable engine wise and the only thing done to it is spark plugs and oil changes.

So what should I be planning on replacing BEFORE it breaks? I see plenty of comments on this sort of thing in other car forums but havent noticed it here.

-SP
Old 09-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 @ 200k What needs replaced?

What needs replaced?

The broken stuff.
Old 10-03-2014
Registered!!

Silly boy!

Water pump, cam chain + sprockets? Or are those parts you dont stock (like rear brake drums) because nobody buys them?

-SP
Old 10-03-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speedy25
Silly boy!

Water pump, cam chain + sprockets? Or are those parts you dont stock (like rear brake drums) because nobody buys them?

-SP
Not silly at all. Why fill the shelves with stuff we don't sell regularly, and in many cases probably would never ever be able to sell?
We don't have the space of a warehouse, and it costs money to keep the shelves full.

We can get most needed parts overnight anyway.

8th gen water pump?
Very few failures here so far. No reason to keep on-hand.

No we don't keep timing chains on hand.
I only seem to see chain problems in the "low maintenance" cars, certainly not our regular customers.

There's a lot to be said for factory recommended fluids.

Brake drums?
WTF are you people doing to these cars?
They last a lifetime here for most of my customers.

I always wonder what is going on when someone wants to buy parts I never see problems with.
Old 10-03-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone

No we don't keep timing chains on hand.
I only seem to see chain problems in the "low maintenance" cars, certainly not our regular customers.
The mechanic was telling me of a girl, and a neglected R18. She hit a large bump and somehow bound up the chain/tensioner and destroyed the engine.
Old 10-03-2014

Originally Posted by CraigW
The mechanic was telling me of a girl, and a neglected R18. She hit a large bump and somehow bound up the chain/tensioner and destroyed the engine.
Somehow, I suspect the bump was only a coincidence. IOW, the bump wasn't the root cause of the failure, the lack of maintenance was.
Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
WTF are you people doing to these cars?
Hahahaha! As the guy people find when other doofus mechanics give a BAD or ridiculous diagnosis, I say the same thing all the time!

Needling you through a few threads I now have my answer. These engines really ARE robust and dont need replacement parts until failure. Many other cars HAVE expected life on parts and do need preventative maintenance before the tow truck has to come.

-SP
Old 10-08-2014

Originally Posted by speedy25
Hahahaha! As the guy people find when other doofus mechanics give a BAD or ridiculous diagnosis, I say the same thing all the time!

Needling you through a few threads I now have my answer. These engines really ARE robust and dont need replacement parts until failure. Many other cars HAVE expected life on parts and do need preventative maintenance before the tow truck has to come.

-SP
You know, this is the thread where you mentioned timing chains and whatnot.......

Today someone was trying to price a timing chain job on 2011 Civic with 100k miles. For "maintenance and peace of mind".

It was a phone shopper....... within the next hour 2 other shops called the parts department wanting prices for timing chain and guides and such.
Old 10-08-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ the rest of the maintenance has been ignored...... or 3rd party fluids, but lets get that chain replaced soon, don't want it to fail.