Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacement key???

Old 09-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawgtired is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Replacement key???

One of the ignition keys to my 2008 Civic EX has fallen apart and I need to have two functional keys at all times. The dealership wants almost $200 to replace it!

There has to be another way to replace it, program it, and get it for LESS MONEY.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 09-24-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Replacement key???

Got a service key made at the dealer for $10. Wont start the car.... but works in door and trunk.

What fell apart ??
Get a new housing and swap the electronics over.
Old 09-24-2014
Registered!!

The housing cracked but the real issue is that the little screw in the key broke off so there is no way to secure it to a new housing.
Old 09-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Locksmith
Walmart
Dealership

Few can cut the keys, few can program the keys. The equipment to do so is rather expensive.

Some dealers charge more than others. The dealership I work for charges a bit less than the dealers within an hour drive.

and I need to have two functional keys at all times
Why on Earth do you need to keep TWO keys at all times?

Break the plastic head off the loose key, now put the blade in your wallet as a spare.
Old 09-25-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Any treads exposed from metal to extract ???

Too big to pack 2 w/remote around, used the valet until getting the service key cut.

Best $ ever.
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Suck it up and pay their outrageous price. BUT make sure they do it right. Mine was cut wrong and didnt work in the truck. They did correct it when I discovered it though.

-SP
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Haaa, I fixed it myself (for the time being)! I bought a replacement battery (#1616) and once I saw that the remote part was working I figured, what the heck, let's super glue this thing back together and see if it works.

and...IT WORKS!

I just don't know how long it will hold together. It's damned solid now but the twisting motion of turning the ignition will surely wear on it.

One good thing I can say about Honda ignitions is that they do turn easily/gently compared to others out there so this may prolong the life of my rescued key.