Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Ticking from engine bay. Not at idle, not on heavy acceleration, only steady throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PNWCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ticking from engine bay. Not at idle, not on heavy acceleration, only steady throttle

Hey Guru's...
2006 Honda Civic EX, manufactured in Canada, bone stock, five speed. Just rolled over 90 k miles. Engine has ran great since I bought it last September. However, I have but 23,000 miles on it in that time
It recently developed a "ticking" sound from the engine bay. It can be rather loud. "Loud" and "ticking" being relative of course, it's definitely louder than what I'm comfortable with.
To try and combat the problem I got the oil changed, ran some overpriced fuel system cleaner through it, and replaced the plugs (I used Bosch and was later informed that I should have only used OEM; thoughts?).
The problem remains.
The sounds is as follows: No "ticking" at start up or cold/warm idle. No ticking on heavy acceleration. None under 2,500 RPM's. The ticking is present only when I have the throttle in a steady position, neither accelerating or off the gas. Just maintaining speed.
I realize this will likely need a professional opinion and repair, but am also curious how quickly the issue should be addressed. From what I've gathered thus far, it may be fuel injectors or valve adjustment? Fuel injectors make sense to me (not a mechanic) given when the noise is present (under steady throttle).
Any previous experience with the issue or advice is greatly appreciated.

Honda lover; first post. Take it easy on me! And I apologize if this was previously addressed!
Old 08-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ticking from engine bay. Not at idle, not on heavy acceleration, only steady thro

Welcome to the forum!
five speed.
Manual or automatic? Both are 5 speed trans.

It recently developed a "ticking" sound from the engine bay. It can be rather loud. "Loud" and "ticking" being relative of course, it's definitely louder than what I'm comfortable with.
This is heard while driving?
Can you hear it while stopped and holding the gas pedal down?

Describe: Judge the speed of the noise, as in one tick per engine revolution? Wheel revolution? Consistent with engine RPM regardless of the gear used? Steady tick rate regardless of engine speed or road speed?

Got video? That might help a lot (this laptop is crap for sound reproduction though LOL)
(I used Bosch and was later informed that I should have only used OEM; thoughts?)
There's a damn good reason OEM is always preferred.

Botch may be great at marketing and great for profit margins at DangerZone.
If they work for you, fine...... BUT if there is ever an issue with the way it runs, those plugs should be the first things fired at the garbage dumpster. By slingshot. With malice.

No "ticking" at start up or cold/warm idle. No ticking on heavy acceleration. None under 2,500 RPM's. The ticking is present only when I have the throttle in a steady position, neither accelerating or off the gas. Just maintaining speed.
What if you change to a different gear? What happens to the noise?
Old 08-28-2014
Registered!!

Re: Ticking from engine bay. Not at idle, not on heavy acceleration, only steady thro

Originally Posted by ezone
Welcome to the forum!
Manual or automatic? Both are 5 speed trans.

This is heard while driving?
Can you hear it while stopped and holding the gas pedal down?

Describe: Judge the speed of the noise, as in one tick per engine revolution? Wheel revolution? Consistent with engine RPM regardless of the gear used? Steady tick rate regardless of engine speed or road speed?

What if you change to a different gear? What happens to the noise?
It is a manual.
Yes, it can be heard at a stop while pressing the gas. Same applies through all gears. A good example would be passing someone. As I press the pedal harder to pass them the noise goes away. As I come back down to speed and maintain at whatever speed and say the RPM around 3000, the noise is there. The tick is consistent w engine RPM regardless of gear used, speed, or in motion. Seems more prevalent in lower gears, likely due to less road noise. I typically can't hear the noise less than 27-2800 rpms, either because I just can't hear it or it isn't there. No video though :/ I could probably take one.
Thank you for the reply!
Old 08-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it can be heard at a stop while pressing the gas.

The tick is consistent w engine RPM regardless of
Well this part should at least make it easier to find....Have someone else hold the gas pedal while you hunt for the noise?

Stethoscope various areas listening for noise?

Anything unusual in the drive belt area? You could remove the belt and run the engine (for about 20 seconds MAX) to see if the noise is still there or gone....Don't run it long because the water pump won't be spinning, you could do serious damage if it gets overheated.

Water pump pulley cracked, water pump pulley bolts loose, or tensioner pulleys laying crooked?
Old 08-29-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Well this part should at least make it easier to find....Have someone else hold the gas pedal while you hunt for the noise?

Stethoscope various areas listening for noise?

Anything unusual in the drive belt area? You could remove the belt and run the engine (for about 20 seconds MAX) to see if the noise is still there or gone....Don't run it long because the water pump won't be spinning, you could do serious damage if it gets overheated.

Water pump pulley cracked, water pump pulley bolts loose, or tensioner pulleys laying crooked?
All good ideas. I'll see what I can hear/find. Likely a job for good ol' Tony at the Honda Shop. Atleast like to give it my due diligence first! Thank you!
Old 07-05-2020
Registered!!

Shane Pascoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PNWCivic
All good ideas. I'll see what I can hear/find. Likely a job for good ol' Tony at the Honda Shop. Atleast like to give it my due diligence first! Thank you!
how did you go? I have the identical symptoms
Old 07-05-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Thread is 6 years old.....