Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Which Fluids New 1.8L Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timbogates is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Which Fluids New 1.8L Civic

After many years 15 I purchased a new Civic 1.8L. I am one that likes to take care of that vehicle but since it has been a while things have changed. I have always used the tradition oil brands and changed every 3,500 miles. Now there are blends with synthetic and those that are fully synthetic. I do like the idea of going about 7500 miles as convenience using fully synthetic. I have always heard if you start with fully synthetic stay with it forever. If I start with a blend can I go over to full synthetic without issues? I will also be changing my autotransmission fluid at the regular intervals too.

OK all that said and I do need feedback on oil. What are the other two biggest items I need to do for PM (other than coolant changes, oil, trans) that are very important and non forgiving??
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Which Fluids New 1.8L Civic

What type of money are you willing to spend?

To be honest if I want to put mid-quality oil and filter in my civic it costs more to do it myself than getting the same quality oil change at the dealer...

Now, I can put oil and a filter in it that some MIGHT claim is better than the dealership oil, but it's still gonna cost me around 60$ to do a change, whereas most dealers charge between 30-40.

If you get it changed by a honda dealer just let the car tell you when to change it, read your manual to learn about the maintenance minder.

Tell us more about your car, what year, sedan or coupe, trim level etc.

Also if you don't have the manual let us know, we can tell you how to check the minder, and reset it if you do any changes yourself.
Old 08-01-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Stick with a high quality oil and you will be good. Honda's blend of oil is a very good blend and you can buy cases online for not to expensive. Oil technology has come a long way, some manufactures like Mobile 1 and Amsoil have a 15K and 25K mile oil. Even conventional non synthetic can go longer then 3500 miles.

There is no harm in switching from conventional to synthetic.
Old 08-01-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Timbogates
I purchased a new Civic 1.8L.
2011+ should have synthetic from factory IIRC.

The dino oil in my 2010 would likely be at 7500 if I went by MM. If/When getting a model using synthetic have always thought that I may try the 7500. The last 2 Civics have me changed to 5K

ATF every 30k DW-1, Brake fluid 3 years. Honda Genuine.
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jordan1794
What type of money are you willing to spend?

To be honest if I want to put mid-quality oil and filter in my civic it costs more to do it myself than getting the same quality oil change at the dealer...

Now, I can put oil and a filter in it that some MIGHT claim is better than the dealership oil, but it's still gonna cost me around 60$ to do a change, whereas most dealers charge between 30-40.

If you get it changed by a honda dealer just let the car tell you when to change it, read your manual to learn about the maintenance minder.

Tell us more about your car, what year, sedan or coupe, trim level etc.

Also if you don't have the manual let us know, we can tell you how to check the minder, and reset it if you do any changes yourself.
I have a LX with a 1.8 automatic. I have a manual but do you know where I can find a free service manual for I guess anything after 2011?
Old 08-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have a LX with a 1.8 automatic. I have a manual but do you know where I can find a free service manual for I guess anything after 2011?
Free service manual?
Old 08-03-2014
Registered!!

Do you know of a good link for a service manual? Also what is a good grade of coolant to use in the 1.8L Civic? 2013. What has happened to all the antifreeze coolant (anti rust / water pump lubricants) you can add to the fresh antifreeze on a change?
Old 08-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know of a good link for a service manual? Also what is a good grade of coolant to use in the 1.8L Civic? 2013.
Service manual, no. Buy a subscription to Honda Service Express?
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

Original coolant is good for 10 years/100,000 miles, or maint minder item #5. (Check your owners manual)
If you MUST replace it, get the correct coolant (Honda Type 2) from any Honda or Acura dealer.

What has happened to all the antifreeze coolant (anti rust / water pump lubricants) you can add to the fresh antifreeze on a change?
Why on Earth would you do that?
Use the correct product in the first place.
NO additives.

Page 275 in your sedan owners manual:
Do not add rust inhibitors or other additives to your
vehicle's coolant system. They may not be compatible
with the coolant or with the engine components.

See the same page for more info on coolant.
(Might be around page 255 in a coupe owners manual)
See that entire section for how the maintenance minder works.

HTH