Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

my experience with the engine malfunction light

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhvic is an unknown quantity at this point
my experience with the engine malfunction light

Recently I removed, cleaned, and replaced the K&N air filter for my 2008 Civic DX. One has to remove the wire harness that lies over the air filter housing in order to do this. While this wire was disconnected, I also turned on the ignition so that I could adjust my windshield washer aim. That caused the engine malfunction light to come on when next I ran the car, since it had in mind that there was a problem with whatever sensors are hooked up to that wire. The warning light still had not gone out several days later.

I was sure there was no intrinsic problem with the car, it was just caused by the procedure I used. The dealer tolds me he'd be glad to hook up his computer to it for $89.95, and turn off the warning light. No thanks.

Instead, the easy fix was to disconnect the +ve terminal of the battery for a while, then reconnect. All is well again except that the clock is wrong. Problem solved.
Old 07-22-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: my experience with the engine malfunction light

Autozone will also reset it for free.
Old 07-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

It will store that error but usually after a few dozen starts and stop, it will also turn itself off after it reads enough times all is OK.
Old 07-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The light would have gone out by itself after about 5 starts or so.