Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trainingdragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Wheel Bearings

I'm hearing a weird grinding sound in the back of the car. After being underneath it and investigating anything loose, I came the possible conclusion that it could be a bad wheel bearing. I hear it mostly at low speeds and around turns.

Just curious. On the 8th Gen Civics, how long do you all think the rear wheel bearings last? I have about 120K on the car.

I haven't checked it out yet. I'm just looking for general feedback.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear Wheel Bearings

Bearings usually get louder the faster you go.

---

Raise the rear wheels off the ground.
Spin each rear tire while listening closely.
Bearing noise is readily apparent as a low growl or rumble if it is there.

If it spins quietly off the ground, (not including any brake noises) then it's probably choppy tire tread. You should be able to see and feel if the blocks of tread are worn into a high-low-high-low pattern around the inner edges or middle of the tread.
Old 06-29-2014
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone.

It's definitely not the tires. I hear it mostly when I go around corners and turning at medium to slower speed, say to get in my driveway or a parking space. I thought it might have been something in the suspension, but everything is tight. Wheel bearings seem to be the only thing I haven't considered yet.

Do you know if 120K milre is a lot for wheel bearings? Some say they should last forever, other's have said if you get 60K your doing well. Weird.

The noise is a creaking and/or grinding but not a consistent grinding. Could almost sound like something is loose in back and vibrating at certain speeds. I've been all through the trunk and underneath poking and prodding and can't find anything loose. Annoying!!
Old 06-29-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The noise is a creaking and/or grinding but not a consistent grinding.
*clicks handle*
Oh, you have an EX....

Brake pad wear indicator (squealer)

^^^Watch that video^^^
I bet it's time for a rear brake job.

-----------------------------------------
Do you know if 120K milre is a lot for wheel bearings? Some say they should last forever, other's have said if you get 60K your doing well. Weird.
Bearings are hit and miss. There is no rule that they will go bad at a certain mileage. Some outlast the cars, some get replaced early in life.

Did your car have the recall done on the rear ABS sensors?

Other thoughts, since I can't hear your noise:
Backing plate rubbing on a rotor during turns?
Suspension link bushing bad?

Bearing noise is consistently repeatable.
By the time most customers notice something is wrong, the bad bearing is usually roaring like a damn airplane is flying next to you. The faster you go, the louder and higher in pitch the noise gets.

Get someone to sit in the back seat and tell you which side the noise is coming from.
Then jack up the rear wheels and confirm as described earlier.
Old 06-29-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Rear brakes are new and I'm familiar with the "squeel". Definitely not that.

Bushings all seem good. I got under the car with a pry bar and pushed and pulled everything. Pretty tight.

Didn't look at the backing plate but it doesn't really sound like a rubbing or grinding from a rotating motion. More like something is loose but I can't find it.

Thanks for the feedback. I may check out the wheel bearings anyway. It was my next step.

Oh, what's the recall on the ABS sensors? Mine is an 06 EX/Navi Coupe. I don't remember a recall for that but I have had the car for 8 years. Maybe it was done and I don't remember it.
Old 06-29-2014

Originally Posted by Trainingdragon
Thanks for the feedback.

Rear brakes are new and I'm familiar with the "squeel". Definitely not that.
Aftermarket brakes are known to make unusual noises sometimes.
The stainless clips can get damaged and move, make contact with the rotor......
Pad backing shims (if equipped) can move too. I've seen them cut a groove in the hat of a rotor.

Didn't look at the backing plate but it doesn't really sound like a rubbing or grinding from a rotating motion. More like something is loose but I can't find it.
I occasionally get cars with pea gravel trapped between the rotor and backing plate, or trapped somewhere around the caliper or pads.

Thanks for the feedback. I may check out the wheel bearings anyway. It was my next step.

Oh, what's the recall on the ABS sensors? Mine is an 06 EX/Navi Coupe. I don't remember a recall for that but I have had the car for 8 years. Maybe it was done and I don't remember it.
It was an inspection of the small O rings that seal the sensors to the knuckles in the rear. If damaged or misinstalled, it can allow water to enter and ruin the bearing.

Send me a PM with your VIN..or check your VIN here http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
Old 06-30-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for all your help and advice ezone. I checked my VIN but didn't really understand what I was reading. It mentioned a current recall for rear wheel bearings and that they were fixed but I don't remember that at all. Here's my VIN, maybe you have access to more history? 2HGFG12876H568802

I think the thing to do is to really go through the passenger side rear assembly and inspect to the best of my ability. I only hear the noise around corners or turning in or backing up into parking spaces or driveways. It's not loud, but just loud enough to be annoying.
Old 07-01-2014

Originally Posted by Trainingdragon
It mentioned a current recall for rear wheel bearings
That particular recall has been completed on your car.