Interior Post information/questions/Issues about Interiror Parts here.

Mileage being changed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dannyboy1616 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mileage being changed

I recently bought a 2001 honda civic automatic 4door. The seller said that the instrument cluster was not working properly, as in lights, fuel gage. So he replaced it with a used one. The car he is selling is said to have around 116,000miles on it but with the replaced instrument cluster, that he bought used, it now reads 181,000miles. So my question is that could the mileage be changed due to changing out the instrument cluster? Thanks to anyone that could help on this. Oh an yes I do have the original instrument cluster, he gave that to me
Old 04-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mileage being changed

question is that could the mileage be changed due to changing out the instrument cluster?
I'm not sure what you want to know here.

You have to trust the sellers claims and hope he has documentation to back up the claims.

A shop may have placed an odometer change info sticker in the door jamb, but most people don't do that.

Mileage is only stored in the instrument cluster. No other control units have odometer information. There is no other way to obtain true mileage info from the car. (Some other manufacturers program redundant odometer info in other control units, but Honda did not do that for this car.)

The dealer scantool cannot alter or adjust odometer information on that car. We have to send the cluster out to a speedometer repair service to change mileage.

You could send the cluster out and have your odometer altered if you wish, I think someone else here did look into this for themselves.

You can plug in the original cluster and view the mileage, bit I don't know what good that will do at this point.
Old 04-06-2014
Registered!!

Ok thanks. Just wanting to check to see if anyway to find true mileage. So I'm guessing from this statement that basically anyone can lower/raise their mileage just by switching out the instrument cluster? Seems too easy to me, but I'll definitely look into the last receipts from oil changes, smog and registration. Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2014
Registered!!

Sorry, but one more thing. Is the mileage stored to the instrument cluster? This will just give me peace of mind know if I got a good deal or haggled. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dannyboy1616
Ok thanks. Just wanting to check to see if anyway to find true mileage.
Only if the cluster swap has documentation, as in notes of odometer reading when the original cluster was removed, and notes of new odometer reading upon installation.

Official documentation would be an odometer change sticker in the door jamb. DIYers don't normally have those stickers.

So I'm guessing from this statement that basically anyone can lower/raise their mileage just by switching out the instrument cluster? Seems too easy to me,
Correct, on that car. All one has to do is swap the cluster, and it's a popular swap by itself. People swap clusters to get a different color and/or different design.

but I'll definitely look into the last receipts from oil changes, smog and registration.
Good idea.

Sorry, but one more thing. Is the mileage stored to the instrument cluster? This will just give me peace of mind know if I got a good deal or haggled. Thanks.
Originally Posted by ezone
Mileage is only stored in the instrument cluster. No other control units have odometer information. There is no other way to obtain true mileage info from the car.
*from the car itself
Old 02-15-2020
Registered!!

MarLem is an unknown quantity at this point

This may be a stupid question...sorry if it is. I have 2015 Honda Civic...very low mileage ( but not as much as it says I have). I believe I am in the low 30K . However, mileage now shows 3050.5 with a litte "A" in front of it. I know I drove more than 3000 miles in 5 years. So why can't I get the real mileage anymore. I noticed this only after I brought it in for it's annual checkup
Old 02-15-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

That's probably the mileage until the car needs to be serviced again, you should be able to flip through the different screens on the display to get the total mileage
Old 02-17-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarLem
However, mileage now shows 3050.5 with a litte "A" in front of it.
You're on trip A. You should be able to change it back to the regular odometer using buttons on the steering wheel or a **** in the cluster.
Old 02-17-2020
Registered!!

Thank you for your resonses. I did try changing it on my steering wheel, thru the button that has the exclamation point (don't laugh...haha!...I don't know what that button is called since I am not sitting in my car) ...but neither option shows my real mileage. And unfortunately I don't know what the "cluster" is.
Old 02-17-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The cluster is the gauges behind the steering wheel (were it is showing the mileage). There should be a select/reset **** on the top right corner, push it and it should switch to trip B, push it again and it should change back to the odometer.
Old 02-17-2020
Registered!!

Thanks so much, I will look for them, and let you know how it worked.