Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny silp? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kidzingo is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny silp? or something else?

I drive a 2010 dx auto. For a couple weeks now I've noticed a very slight slipping. It feels like a small downshift, but I'm almost positive it's not shifting because I'm not accelerating when it happens. It happens most often when cruising around 50 mph, but I can feel it when I'm cruising on the highway too.

I wish I knew how to describe it beyond a small downshift or a small jump. That's just what it feels like. I had the tranny fluid changed a month or two ago. This problem is starting to worry me. I want to catch the problem before it becomes any bigger. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tranny silp? or something else?

Um, turn the AC off, turn the defroster off, turn the blower fan off.
See if the feeling is gone.
Compressor cycling can be felt in the car as a "bump" or "jerk" feeling.

If that wasn't it......

Watch the tachometer...Does it change at all when you feel this 'bump'?

Step 1, check trans fluid level
Step 2, return to the shop that did the trans service, take the tech for a ride, see if they can identify the issue (You MUST point out the problem while driving!)

Was the fluid service done at a Honda dealer?
Was Genuine Honda ATF DW--1 fluid used?
Old 03-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Was the fluid service done at a Honda dealer?
Was Genuine Honda ATF DW--1 fluid used?

exactly what i was going to ask ^^^^^^^^^

those are the two most important questions,

too much of a coincidence going on here, you had your tranny serviced, and now your having problems, me thinks somebody didnt do something right
Old 03-02-2014
Registered!!

I've tried all of those things. The problem persists. I didnt have it serviced at a honda dealership, but at a shop that I've been going to for a while.

I think I'll take one of their techs for a drive so they can feel it. thanks for the idea. hopefully I can take care of this before it becomes a huge, expensive issue.

PS- it started happening a few months after I had the tranny flushed. would it take that long for something to start messing up after I had it serviced? or would it have happened sonner?

thanks again!
Old 03-02-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kidzingo
I didnt have it serviced at a honda dealership,
If they didn't use the correct fluid, chalk up mistake #1.

Adding some bottle of elixir to the wrong fluid can't turn it into the right fluid either.

I think I'll take one of their techs for a drive so they can feel it. thanks for the idea.
I can hear it now: deny deny deny, no matter what.
hopefully I can take care of this before it becomes a huge, expensive issue.
Uh huh.

PS- it started happening a few months after I had the tranny flushed.
Define "flush".

Describe what and how it was done.

And, mistake #2, #3, maybe more. Maybe none. Who knows? I know what I expect to hear though.

would it take that long for something to start messing up after I had it serviced? or would it have happened sonner?

thanks again!
Some damages take time to make themselves known. Much like an incubation period for a virus or disease.

You said this is a 2010 car? Powertrain warranty is 5/60. If you are under 60k, take it to the dealer ASAP.
But if this problem was caused by improper servicing of the trans, you may now own the whole mess.

Assuming your complaint is trans related, and assuming this is caused by use of incorrect fluid (both extremely likely), there is a good chance that flushing the wrong fluid out can save the trans.

Use a Honda dealer for this.

It would not necessarily be cheap, price for a full case of factory trans fluid and the labor to do this job correctly, but much cheaper than ruining and replacing the transmission.
Old 03-02-2014
Registered!!

I'm definitely going to straight to a dealership and having them put Honda fluid in it. Would it be possible for the computer to have picked up on the issue?
Old 03-02-2014

Originally Posted by kidzingo
I'm definitely going to straight to a dealership and having them put Honda fluid in it.
If it truly has the wrong fluid, I'd recommend the trans be flushed according to Hondas official published procedure.

Then evaluate how it performs after that.

If you don't ask for 'Hondas official transmission flush procedure' specifically, they may just perform a simple routine drain and fill, which only nets maybe 1/3 of the fluid in the trans. You would still have a significant amount of incorrect fluid in it.

Would it be possible for the computer to have picked up on the issue?
Maybe, but if there is no check engine light nor a flashing "D" light, then I doubt it.
Not all issues can be detected by the computer.
Old 03-02-2014
Registered!!

ok, thanks for your advice. hopefully this does the trick.
Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

your warranty will most likely be void if its the wrong fluid, so keep your mouth shut about that and hope they dont notice at the dealership...Lol

a friend of mine had a similar situation with his CRV, he had the fluid changed in his transfer case at a "spiffy lube", needless to say the wrong fluid was put in, his transfer case blew up, and he had to pay for it even though it was still under warranty
Old 03-03-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What is the mileage btw ??