Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Civic starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fletch1027 is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 Civic starting issue

I have a 2008 Civic that at times will not start. It happens 4-5 times a year, in the winter, always in the morning when it is below 45 or so. Once the temperature warms up later in the morning it will start. I recorded this and posted on youtube in case this sounds familiar to anyone, because it has me stumped!

[YOUTUBE]bIIi3Lq1Gxg[/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 Civic starting issue

Does it just WHIRRRRRRR but not crank the engine?

If that's what it does, I'd put a starter in it because the bendix isn't getting kicked out.
Old 12-01-2013
Registered!!

desmo888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked the battery terminals for corrosion? I once had a similar problem with a Nissan. Took off the plastic covers on the battery terminals and the negative lead was covered in corrosion. Cleaned them both up and all was fine. I think winter salt (I lived in Boston at the time) contributed to the problem.
Old 01-08-2014
Registered!!

sdraza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It happened to me too today. I went out of country for about 2 weeks and perhaps battery couldn't be charged. I am thinking of warming the battery with hair dryer and will try to restart it.
Old 01-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdraza1
It happened to me too today. I went out of country for about 2 weeks and perhaps battery couldn't be charged. I am thinking of warming the battery with hair dryer and will try to restart it.
Forget it. If the battery went dead and it's in the cold, it's frozen inside. It is considered junk now.

Replace it and get it over with.

If you have a starter problem as the OP did, that's different.