Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery (Charging) Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rpewing is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery (Charging) Light Problems

For the past few weeks, I had noticed the charging light going on and off intermittently on my 2006 Civic. Over the past couple of days, however, I leave the house, and the light comes on after a couple of miles and stays on.

Both days I stopped and started the car again, and the light comes back on (and stays on) again after a few miles. I stop yet again, restart the car, and the light is gone. From that point, the light might flash once or twice, but it stays off the rest of the way to work (which is roughly another 15 miles from that point). It has followed this exact pattern the last two days.

I haven't noticed any difference in how the engine is running or any lights, sounds, etc. being any dimmer compared to when the light is on or off.

I hate to have to take it in for service (I bought this car used from a dealer six months ago), so are there any things I can do other than checking the battery and terminals? The alternator belt is tight. Other than doing oil changes and changing tires, my experience on working with cars is very limited, so no answer is too obvious for me. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Battery (Charging) Light Problems

Suppose it could be worn brushes in alternator.... but imo the last thing you want is a crappy part store re-man unit though.

Know any other good mechanics that could diagnose some further ??
Old 11-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rpewing is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
Suppose it could be worn brushes in alternator.... but imo the last thing you want is a crappy part store re-man unit though.

Know any other good mechanics that could diagnose some further ??
Thanks Craig...that sounds consistent with what I'm experiencing. It seems that when the engine is hot, the light doesn't come on; it's only in the first 10 miles or so when I get going in the morning that it comes on.

I just took it out for lunch, and the light didn't come on the entire time. If it comes down to it, I'll get a service manual and disassemble the thing myself; I'd rather learn and pay less than pay (and pay and pay).
Old 11-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

From here, I'd guess at an alternator too.

Does the car have a ton of miles on it?
Old 11-19-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I talked with my ex dealership & longtime Honda tech about remans recently.

He suggested Honda rebuilt/reman units.
Old 11-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^^Agreed, far more reliable than DangerZoo and other parts store remans.