Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic 2012 Power steering groans

Old 09-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proteus is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 2012 Power steering groans

Hi all,

I am a new driver and new to cars in general. My year and half old Honda Civic 2012 is exhibiting this issue. When I turn rapidly, the steering column groans slightly. This does not happen everytime but has been happening more often in the last few days. Can someone suggest why this could be so?

Also, since Civics come with a 3year warranty, could this be covered? Would I be required to pay anything; not sure how warranties work in the US?
Old 09-22-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 2012 Power steering groans

Sounds like a warranty matter (if it is, in fact, a real problem).

You do not pay a dime for issues that are covered by the factory warranty and within the warranty period. Read your owners literature.

Bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles, and powertrain is covered for 5 years/60,000 miles. Again, please read the literature provided for more info.

When you take your car to your dealership, be sure to demonstrate your concern directly to the service writer or technician, so everyone involved knows exactly what you are talking about and is on the same page.
(Accurate communication can be a huge problem. Verbal communication just doesn't work for many things.)

I don't believe I have encountered this particular complaint on this car.....and I also own one. Please report back what your fix is.
Old 09-22-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You have EPS, get it documented at the dealer asap.

3yr/36k bumper to bumper, 5yr/60k drivetrain.
Old 09-22-2013
Registered!!

Thanks everyone, I will take it to the dealer tomorrow and have it checked out. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-24-2013
Registered!!

I went to the dealer and the problem did not reproduce. But as luck would have it as soon as I left, the noise started again. I kept my cellphone near the steering to record it. Here's the MP3, forward to about 19 seconds to hear a metallic ringing (sorry for the apparently poor description.) Will be taking the recording to the dealership again, but if anyone here can identify possible causes for it, I would be really thankful for it.

MP3
Old 09-24-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the MP3,
I can BARELY hear the noise over the sound of you jostling the phone........

Sounds like an F# to me.

as soon as I left, the noise started again.
You should have turned around and returned to the shop.

(Does interior temperature have anything to do with the noise? Make notes for the shop if you find this to be true, let them know this info.)

but if anyone here can identify possible causes for it, I would be really thankful for it.
Still no clue here, I personally have not chased this complaint on this car.

I took a peek into Hondas tech website, I could find no relevant service bulletins related to this issue.

You really have to be able to demonstrate your issue to the service personnel before anything can be done. IF anything can be done.
Old 09-27-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the recording is poor since I had placed the phone unsecured over the steering wheel so it might have been jostled during a turn.

While the service technician acknowledged that he could hear the sound (and that it did not sound like a power steering issue), since the issue could, again, not be reproduced during a test drive, he said that he could not help me. He did just ask me to call him if it got worse. He suggested approaching cold weather to be a culprit but I actually see the problem only after driving 5 miles or so, never on a cold start.

I just hope this is not a safety issue. Thanks again for looking into the issue.
Old 03-29-2014
Registered!!

I finally got the issue fixed when they replaced the cable reel in the steering column. No more sound while turning the wheel.
Old 03-29-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Appreciate update, thanks.