Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2013 civic A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
giwatcher should not be trustedgiwatcher should not be trusted
2013 civic A/C issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2013 LX and have A/C questions. First, I own a 2004 4 cyl camry with r134 refrigerant. It easily produces 40 degree temp from the left center vent on max cool recirc at 1500rpm on a hot day. This is good. I have heard complaints about civic A/C performance, and used to own a 2003 civicLX that didn't cool as well as the camry using similar testing. I am getting 45-46 degrees from the 2013 civic on max cool/recirc at 1500 rpm. This does not vary with econ mode on or off. Outside temp 90-95 degrees. It seems to me that the compressor cycles too frequently, and if it just stayed on longer, I could get the desired 40-42 degrees. Does anyone have vent temp specs for the 2013 civic? Does anyone know if Honda is currently using more frequent comp cycling and slightly higher vent temps to boost mileage at the expense of comfort?
Old 09-10-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 civic A/C issue

It's a small AC system. You didn't buy a meat locker.
If the car is a dark color, that puts extra solar load on the AC.
It takes a lot of time to cool down an interior from 180*F or more, to something comfortable.

ECON mode won't make any difference in AC.
If it is 95* ambient, then 45* from the vents is pretty good for that car.

I'm happy if they go below 50* on a hot day in a reasonable amount of time.

Evap core temp is usually limited to about 37* so it doesn't freeze up.
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the prompt reply. No thanks for the sarcasm. I am quite aware of the difference between a car and a meat locker. Did you pay attention to the details of similar camry and it's ease of reaching a 40 degree vent temp? It is a similar size car with a similar size a/c system. My gm car also produced 40 degrees, and all cars have been the same dark color. If you are happy with 50 degee outlet temp on a hot day, you aren't waiting long enough for the coolest air, even if it takes longer for the cabin temp to drop. Or, your system is defective.
My question remains the same. Does Honda shave a few degrees off the max vent temp to add milage? Does anyone have the exact specs for vent temp under the conditions I describe?
Old 09-10-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giwatcher
Thanks for the prompt reply. No thanks for the sarcasm.
No extra charge for that.
I am quite aware of the difference between a car and a meat locker.
I'm so glad that's cleared up.
Did you pay attention to the details of similar camry and it's ease of reaching a 40 degree vent temp? It is a similar size car with a similar size a/c system. My gm car also produced 40 degrees, and all cars have been the same dark color.
I ignored those details. The Civic is not a Camry, nor is it a GM.
I know, that's sort of irrelevant.

I don't have Camrys or GMs available to compare to, and I'm not going to compare apples or oranges to peaches.
I DO have plenty of Hondas available to compare.....I just don't have free time to do it for you.

If you are happy with 50 degee outlet temp on a hot day, you aren't waiting long enough for the coolest air, even if it takes longer for the cabin temp to drop.
I think the question here should be, are YOU allowing enough time for vent temps to come down?

I normally get to drive the cars less than 10 minutes each, that's why I said "reasonable amount of time".
I know what I expect from these cars. If it cools to a decent temp in a short amount of time, I'm relatively sure it will continue to drop if given enough time. OTOH if the temp doesn't drop as I expected, then I might continue to do further checking.

The thermometer I stick in the vent is sensitive enough to show the temp changes as the compressor cycles off and on while driving. If I can see it cycling during a test drive, then I know what the core temp is supposed to be, and I know that vent temps will continue to drop a bit more if I keep driving.
Or, your system is defective.
Your car is in warranty. Why are you here? You should be at your dealership service department with these concerns.

While you are pestering your dealer about this, grab your thermometer and go take a test drive in an identical car for comparison to yours.

My question remains the same. Does Honda shave a few degrees off the max vent temp to add milage?
AFAIK, no.

Your earlier question about the ECON button: The cars equipped with Climate Control could have the AC cycling times and temps affected when used. Details were sketchy last time I looked, I was under the impression this would not apply to Civics, but would apply to the larger cars.
Does anyone have the exact specs for vent temp under the conditions I describe?
Literature I found says compressor is cycled off when evaporator core temp reaches 37 degrees. Normal cycling temps I have seen are about 37-40* (core temp).
Vent temp on the dash will always be a variable. Normal vent temps I see (when given proper vehicle setup and enough time) are in the low 40s. It's really rare to see vent temps go below 40 in 95 heat.

If ambient temp were in the 70s, I might see AC vent temps drop under 40 more often.

Are you using MAX AC and recirculate?

------------------

All that said, the AC in the Civics is a bit on the wimpy side (undersized) IMO.
It's a lot like having central air in your house that was too small for the size of your house.
The AC in a dark colored Civic sometimes can't even keep up with bright direct sunlight on a hot day (been an issue since the 8th gens).

I drive a Dyno Blue 12LX, it's AC is certainly not anything like my old Buick either.
Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

[quote=giwatcher;4647963]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am getting 45-46 degrees from the 2013 civic on max cool/recirc at 1500 rpm. quote]

As I said originally, I am testing properly. It becomes clear after 15 min of testing that the vent temp will NOT drop any further. It also seems to me that the compressor is short cycling, 10 sec on 10 sec off, as if it has achieved it's max production with a 45-46 degree vent temp. This is not low 40's, it's mid 40's.
Sure, I could go to the dealer with these questions, leave the car at my inconvenience, and get the runaround if I am not armed with the necessary info. I'm trying to acquire that info using a forum that is designed for that purpose.
Old 09-14-2013
Registered!!

Update. I took the car on a trip of 800 miles. Max cool/recirc, low or medium fan speed, didn't matter. Still 45-46 degrees from L center vent, at 78 degree outside temp. No better than in my driveway test of 45-46 degrees when it was 90+ outside. It seems to me that the system is programmed to reach that temp and then cycle. Otherwise, the lower outside temp would allow a lower vent temp. I wish a Honda ac service person would weigh in on this topic.
Old 09-14-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

He did.
Old 09-14-2013

So....Your car is either broken or it isn't.
What answers did your dealership service department have for you?
I agree it is a couple degrees higher than your other cars. Evap temp sensor could be a cause. Good luck though, it isn't far off from the norm.

I'm a Honda dealer tech. I have generously relayed to you what info I have, short of test driving other identical cars for comparison.

Teeps on 9thgencivic.com is r&d(?) tech for the manufacturer at corporate in Torrance. If he doesn't have better info for you, then you are Sorry Outta Luck. (He also has more patience than I.)

Last edited by ezone; 09-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

OP, WTF are you posting here for? Your car is well under warranty. Take your complaint to the dealership you bought it from and let them deal with it. GTF off these forums if you think leaving your car with the dealer to accurately diagnose your perceived problem and provide you a rental while that's being done is inconvenient to you. You sound like some liberal elitist who doesn't know what it means to work or be inconvenienced in some way, shape or form.

Last edited by Matt_75; 09-14-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2013

Originally Posted by matt_75
op, wtf are you posting here for? Your car is well under warranty. Take your complaint to the dealership you bought it from and let them deal with it. Gtf off these forums if you think leaving your car with the dealer to accurately diagnose your perceived problem and provide you a rental while that's being done is inconvenient to you. You sound like some liberal elitist who doesn't know what it means to work or be inconvenienced in some way, shape or form.
Um, P.S.S.?
Old 09-14-2013

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Um, P.S.S.?
Yeah definitely. No questions asked.

Last edited by Matt_75; 09-14-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2013
Registered!!

Good grief! I actually thought forums were for the exchange of ideas by those who wished to be helpful to others. People can actually learn a thing or two by reading about a problem and the proposed solutions by random readers with varying skills. What we don't need are arrogant bullies who use schoolyard tactics to demean and intimidate those who wish to use the forum for constructive purposes. The problem seems to be there are no moderators to terminate offensive communication by small-minded subhumans with a Napoleon complex. Let's see if you can shut down this forum by your GFY antics! I am sure you intellectual giants are so perfect that you will never need advice. You know who you are, because, at your age, this isn't the first time you have been criticized for the lack of social skill and grace that requires you to hide behind a keyboard.
Moderators, where are you???
Old 09-15-2013

Good grief! I actually thought forums were for the exchange of ideas by those who wished to be helpful to others. People can actually learn a thing or two by reading about a problem and the proposed solutions by random readers with varying skills. What we don't need are arrogant bullies who use schoolyard tactics to demean and intimidate those who wish to use the forum for constructive purposes. The problem seems to be there are no moderators to terminate offensive communication by small-minded subhumans with a Napoleon complex. Let's see if you can shut down this forum by your GFY antics! I am sure you intellectual giants are so perfect that you will never need advice. You know who you are, because, at your age, this isn't the first time you have been criticized for the lack of social skill and grace that requires you to hide behind a keyboard.
Moderators, where are you???
P.S.S. re-verified. Defintely a liberal elitist with a touch of superiority complex.

These forums are for people who actually need help because their vehicles aren't under warranty and they actually want to fix it themselves and hopefully save money in the process.

Sure, I could go to the dealer with these questions, leave the car at my inconvenience, and get the runaround if I am not armed with the necessary info..
They're not for people who can't be inconvenienced to drop their car off at the dealership so FREE diagnoses and repair can be performed on their brand new, 2013 Civic.
Old 09-15-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The 8th gens were not known for a great A/C setup... your 9th gen is likely identical.

As mentioned above take out another identical 2013 and see how far it drops your vent thermometer.
Old 09-15-2013
Registered!!

Thanks, CraigW, I've made plans to do exactly that. Please excuse Matt75. She clearly lacks the skillset to understand that, ALL questions and concerns that help us learn about and understand our cars, are within the province of this forum. Only a moron and an AH would exclude the current model year from discussion until it is out of warranty. I guess she thinks she owns the forum and makes the rules.
Old 09-16-2013

Thanks, CraigW, I've made plans to do exactly that. Please excuse Matt75. She clearly lacks the skillset to understand that, ALL questions and concerns that help us learn about and understand our cars, are within the province of this forum. Only a moron and an AH would exclude the current model year from discussion until it is out of warranty. I guess she thinks she owns the forum and makes the rules.
LMAO, good stuff. For the record though, I am a he and not a she. I'm not sure what confused you there. The fact that the name Matt is 100% associated with a male or the fact that my profile lists me as a male under to gender.

Oh that's right, you're a liberal. Stupid me, forgive my ignorance. The only thing you're good at is shifting the subject, ignoring the facts and name calling. Silly me, I should have remembered that.
Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
OP, WTF are you posting here for? Your car is well under warranty. Take your complaint to the dealership you bought it from and let them deal with it. GTF off these forums if you think leaving your car with the dealer to accurately diagnose your perceived problem and provide you a rental while that's being done is inconvenient to you. You sound like some liberal elitist who doesn't know what it means to work or be inconvenienced in some way, shape or form.
Originally Posted by Matt_75
Oh that's right, you're a liberal. Stupid me, forgive my ignorance. The only thing you're good at is shifting the subject, ignoring the facts and name calling. Silly me, I should have remembered that.
--------------------------------------------------------------

AH officially confirmed. This is the first name-calling post by you, including the profane abbreviations and political jabs designed to offend and skirt the forum rules:

1) [OP, WTF are you posting here for? Your car is well under warranty. Take your complaint to the dealership you bought it from and let them deal with it. GTF off these forums ... You sound like some liberal elitist who doesn't know what it means to work or be inconvenienced in some way, shape or form.]

This is the second name-calling post by ezone:

2)[Um, P.S.S.?]

This is your name-calling reply to ezone:

3)[Yeah definitely. No questions asked.]

You started the name-calling, not me. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. I can go as long as you can, until the moderators do their job and shut down this thread.

Last edited by giwatcher; 09-17-2013 at 12:20 PM.