Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Transmission fluid pressure switch

Old 09-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roverben is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission fluid pressure switch

I have a 2009 civic sedan with code PO847 which is 3rd clutch transmission fluid pressure switch (short or stuck on). Can anyone help me to locate this switch on the transmission. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Transmission fluid pressure switch

Has it ever had any fluid changes ??
Old 09-09-2013
Registered!!

The fluid was never changed.
Old 09-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The trans pressure switches have been a somewhat common issue across the entire car line for several years.

P0847 is defined as 3rd clutch pressure switch stuck ON, or wiring short to ground.

It's down low on the front, below the ATF cooler. Toward the far drivers side.
Single wire, black with red tracer.

Top view (if battery and everything were out of the way)

Here's a good one, looking up from under the front, splash shields removed

The following users liked this post:
José Daniel Pin (07-22-2021)
Old 09-09-2013
Registered!!

Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Great job ezone.

OP, get a fluid change, its 4 years old.

What's your mileage ?? My 2010 finally brought up the mm code at 65k miles and fluid has already been changed twice (I go with 25k interval) coming up again at 75k
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

It has 70,000 km. Should I change the fluid first then see what happens before I change the pressure switch?
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

There's also another code we found. PO756. Shift solenoid valve B stuck off.
Old 09-10-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roverben
There's also another code we found. PO756. Shift solenoid valve B stuck off.
Why wasn't this mentioned in the first post?
Did you think it wasn't important or something?
SMH.

There's service info specifically addressing this combination of codes.

The P0756 code can be caused by the 3rd pressure switch problem.

Last edited by ezone; 09-10-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2013

Originally Posted by roverben
It has 70,000 km. Should I change the fluid first then see what happens before I change the pressure switch?
I'd recommend to change fluid anyway. Use the ATF DW-1 from any Honda or Acura dealer.

Drain the fluid through a strainer, see if any debris comes out. If it is clean, replace the switch.

If chunks come out, then......that's a problem.
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

I was told about the second code after my first post, so I apologise. Thanks for your help. Will post results.
Old 10-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
niyi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, please i drive an Automatic Civic 2007model and the "D" light indicator blinks while driving, when i diagnosed it, P0848 was the Error code "transmission fluid pressure switch/circuit B High. please can someone show me where the pressure switch is on the type of car or is it the same as that of P0847 ?
Old 10-09-2015

Originally Posted by niyi
Hello, please i drive an Automatic Civic 2007model and the "D" light indicator blinks while driving, when i diagnosed it, P0848 was the Error code "transmission fluid pressure switch/circuit B High. please can someone show me where the pressure switch is on the type of car or is it the same as that of P0847 ?
Same switch as above, the code number represents a different problem:

P0847: 3rd clutch pressure switch stuck on
P0848: 3rd clutch pressure switch stuck off

As always, certain wiring issues could cause the same codes so inspect before just replacing parts.
A cut or chewed wire could cause the same P0848 code.

HTH
Old 10-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

As always, certain wiring issues could cause the same codes so inspect before just replacing parts.

HTH
thanks alot I will do just that. Also please where is the O2 sensor located the in civic 2007model?...seems i also need to change it
The following users liked this post:
José Daniel Pin (07-22-2021)
Old 10-10-2015

thanks alot I will do just that. Also please where is the O2 sensor located the in civic 2007model?...seems i also need to change it
Which one?
Old 10-13-2015
Registered!!

please i was able to solve the P0848 code problem but when i was driving back this evening the gear jerked before selecting and i immediately scanned it...it displayed a P0776 code - pressure solenoid B performance/stuck off. please i need help urgently on what to so.
Old 10-13-2015
Registered!!

HTH

please i was able to solve the P0848 code problem but when i was driving back this evening the gear jerked before selecting and i immediately scanned it...it displayed a P0776 code - pressure solenoid B performance/stuck off. please i need help urgently on what to so
Old 10-13-2015

The jerk you felt may have been the cause of the p0776 code.

If the engine RPM flared during the 1-2 shift it may set the code.
If a shift was slow or missed, if the two shaft speeds were not correct at the time of a shift, the computer may interpret that as a shift valve problem.

So, it could be a shift solenoid valve problem, or it could be a mechanical problem in the trans, or it could be a hydraulic problem in the trans.

Have you checked the fluid level and condition?
Did you clear the code and see how it drives after that?
Old 10-14-2015
Registered!!

The jerk you felt may have been the cause of the p0776 code.

If the engine RPM flared during the 1-2 shift it may set the code.
If a shift was slow or missed, if the two shaft speeds were not correct at the time of a shift, the computer may interpret that as a shift valve problem.

So, it could be a shift solenoid valve problem, or it could be a mechanical problem in the trans, or it could be a hydraulic problem in the trans.

Have you checked the fluid level and condition?
Did you clear the code and see how it drives after that?
i'll change the fluid today and clear the code to see the outcome...thanks for your quick response
Old 10-20-2015
Registered!!

anthonani is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum and also to the Civic world! Great to be here though. I was online searching for a solution to pretty much the same problem (error codes p0848 and p0777) and i'm glad to see an end in sight.

@Niyi, please can you share how you solved the p0848 issue you had also if you've solved the p0776 error as well. Would be great to get the feedback.

My car has both codes P0848 and P0777 and jerks when entering reverse and some times drive, this will continue to happen until the "D" light starts flashing and then what happens for about 5 more minutes (i think till the oil warms up) is that on trying to change to the 4th gear, the rev will spike up before the 4th gear engages. Now from what i gathered from my online research, Just like Ezone said, the 3rd pressure switch would need to be replaced but i also seem to find that i may need to replace the Transmission Solenoid as well.
Old 10-21-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by anthonani
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum and also to the Civic world! Great to be here though. I was online searching for a solution to pretty much the same problem (error codes p0848 and p0777) and i'm glad to see an end in sight.

@Niyi, please can you share how you solved the p0848 issue you had also if you've solved the p0776 error as well. Would be great to get the feedback.

My car has both codes P0848 and P0777 and jerks when entering reverse and some times drive, this will continue to happen until the "D" light starts flashing and then what happens for about 5 more minutes (i think till the oil warms up) is that on trying to change to the 4th gear, the rev will spike up before the 4th gear engages. Now from what i gathered from my online research, Just like Ezone said, the 3rd pressure switch would need to be replaced but i also seem to find that i may need to replace the Transmission Solenoid as well.
@anthonani, my mechanic and i checked d single cable that's connected to the 3rd pressure switch, it was partially in contact with the switch end,so we changed just the wire and taped it properly.Afterwards the 'D' light stopped blinking and P0848 never came back...then also for the P0777, we changed the pressure solenoid found top of the gear having two switch ports on it and we changed the transmission fluid...P0777 has also disappeared since then. sorry for the late reply...

@Ezone, thanks alot for your prompt help...i'm grateful...cheers
Old 10-26-2015
Registered!!

anthonani is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Niyi, thanks for coming back with your update and Ezone thanks for kicking knowledge up in here.

I changed my 3rd gear pressure switch this weekend and the D stopped blinking too (yaay!!) saved up to 20 times what i might have spent if i went to a mech cos it was DIY job.

Not so interesting news is that i still have an occasion (if the car hasn't been warmed up) where the rev will spike up in between gear change whilst i am accelerating. I'm thinking i might still need to change the shift control solenoid or may be just the transmission fluid. (i know what's there now isnt the Honda standard)

I also now have to use the shift lock bypass (press with slim object) to get out of park, but that most likely is a burnt fuse tied to my brake lights (which all of a sudden stopped working just after i changed the pressure switch ) .

Any i'm half way thru my gear issues and thats good news....will try finding the bad fuse and replace (if any ) and also change the trans fluid and update you all.

cheers and have a good week.

PS...do share your thoughts everyone, on this please.
Old 10-26-2015

I also now have to use the shift lock bypass (press with slim object) to get out of park, but that most likely is a burnt fuse tied to my brake lights (which all of a sudden stopped working just after i changed the pressure switch ) .
If it's not the fuse, then check the brake light switch.
I see them fail too.
Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

Hello Ezone, its been a while off this forum... please i now drive an accord 2003model which drags at initially piont of acceleration especially when climbing a hilly road...please what should i check?
Old 02-16-2016

Hello Ezone, its been a while off this forum... please i now drive an accord 2003model which drags at initially piont of acceleration especially when climbing a hilly road...please what should i check?
4 cylinder? 6 cylinder?
Automatic trans or manual?

Check engine light on? Codes?

Does the transmission begin from a stop in 1st gear?
Old 02-17-2016
Registered!!

4 cylinder? 6 cylinder?
Automatic trans or manual?

Check engine light on? Codes?

Does the transmission begin from a stop in 1st gear?
it's a 4cylinder, Automatic Transmission....but i'm yet to scan it...the drag feels more from the engine because the gears changes very smoothly...will try to scan it soon then probably change the the plugs because it vibrates when idling on on D-gear...
Old 02-17-2016

it's a 4cylinder, Automatic Transmission....but i'm yet to scan it...the drag feels more from the engine because the gears changes very smoothly...will try to scan it soon then probably change the the plugs because it vibrates when idling on on D-gear...
Which 4 cylinder engine do you have?
What country are you located?
If you are not in North America, I may not be able to offer much help to you but I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

lauren0ne is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a 2008 Honda civic lx with 97k miles. I used a code reader after I realized that my car started to kick back while shifting into 1st gear and going back to 1st gear.(Started today) Then my malfunction indicator light and the D started to flash. I'm not entirely sure if it's had a transmission fluid flush before, it hasn't since I've owned it. But the color of the fluid is a reddish dark. After using the code reader, I got the codes P0847 and P0756. The trans only struggles shifting into 1st and going back to 1st gear. Any ideas? Would appreciate the help!
Old 03-11-2016

I got the codes P0847 and P0756.
Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned the P0756 can be caused by the P0847 code. Fix the P0847 code then see how it drives.

Fluid service is always a good idea if done correctly (no flush machines or chemicals), and with the correct Honda DW1 fluid.
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

JrFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

I got P0848 code on my 2008 Civic two days ago. Did a fluid change and still is in. I ordered a new switch that should be in tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes issue. Car drives fine and shifts smoothly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid pressure switch