Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 DX - rough manual shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knewknow is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 DX - rough manual shift

I've read quite a few posts about rough manual shifting, but nothing is quite like what I'm experiencing.

Upon pushing down on the gas after any gear change (1-2, 2-3 etc..) I'll experience a jerk. This happens at low or high rpm, and it almost seems that it's not responding quickly enough to the gas after letting go during shift. Also while driving if I let go of the gas while in gear and quickly press down, the car jerks a bit. This may be normal and not related to the shift problem though...

Any help/insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 DX - rough manual shift

Have you driven another identical Civic to compare?
I'd suggest you do this first.

Is your check engine light on?
Old 09-05-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Have you driven another identical Civic to compare?
I'd suggest you do this first.

Is your check engine light on?
No I haven't, but I have always wanted to to see if this is "normal". I can't see this being the way dbw is supposed to work. If so, it's pretty terrible. Now I need to get my hands on a similar Honda... Not sure how I'm going to find one.

Oh, and no, no engine light on.
Old 09-05-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fly-by-wire does feel a little different from a cable operated throttle, it took me just a little getting used to the first few times I drove them back when Honda first started using them.

Some other manufacturers have been using them for well over a decade already. They definitely do not all react the same, some manufacturers' products have a definite lag in response time. Others react dang quick.

Foot timing is everything LOL.

I might drive 50 different cars in a week. I can adapt pretty fast.
Old 09-05-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Fly-by-wire does feel a little different from a cable operated throttle, it took me just a little getting used to the first few times I drove them back when Honda first started using them.

Some other manufacturers have been using them for well over a decade already. They definitely do not all react the same, some manufacturers' products have a definite lag in response time. Others react dang quick.

Foot timing is everything LOL.

I might drive 50 different cars in a week. I can adapt pretty fast.
Yea this is the reason that I'm concerned. I've been driving manual for 20 years (3 different cars), and have been putting up with this "problem" for almost 3 years now and no clutch/gas timing is consistent enough for a smooth shift. It's very frustrating.

Edit: I bought this 2006 approx. 3 years ago, and this weird issue has always existed.
Old 09-05-2013

I'd think that finding an identical manual trans Civic 06-11 would make a good comparison.

Or get someone intimately familiar with the cars to give it a quick test drive to see if something obviously isn't right.

Go to a dealer for an oil change? Ask for a senior (a well experienced) tech to give it a quick drive, describe your issue so he knows what you are after. To someone like me, it should be quickly apparent if the car drives like most others or not.

The reason I say that is at our shop, a quick 1-2 mile test drive just to confirm a complaint could be free...but to go any further in the diagnosis will cost you.
You decide the next step.

HTH