Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jonesfamily0517 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough Idle

I recently purchased a 2008 Honda Civic LX with 80,000 miles on it from a Honda dealership. I have had the car for less than 30 days. I have found that after I have driven the car for several miles and I am stopped with the car in drive, the car begins to vibrate. The longer the car is stopped, the more the car vibrates. Than once I accelerate there is chemical smell from outside the car that evaporates. You can also smell the chemical outside the car, after I parked the car.

Recently I have noticed my gas mileage is decreasing, the car takes longer to accelerate, and when I'm driving at 65, it feels like I'm going 55.

I have brought my car to the dealership twice so far and they say they see nothing wrong. Plus nothing comes up on their code reader when they ran a scan.

Something isn't right.
Old 08-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rough Idle

Your work order just got stamped with CSC....and I can see why. You need to demonstrate your concerns to the service staff....that's the fastest way for anyone to believe you.

Do this yourself:
Go to the dealers lot.
Test drive another identical 08 Civic with similar miles on it. Drive it through the same places, time, patterns as when yours acts up.
IF that car does the same things as yours, then we will assume your car has nothing wrong with it.

If your car is significantly different, now the shop might have something to go on.

Also, just who do you think will pay for anything found wrong? Who do you think will pay the checkout fees for diagnosis and time spent?
You better get this established prior to dropping your car off.
Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jonesfamily0517 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rough Idle

Tomorrow I have an apt. at the dealership. This time I will do the test drive with the mechanic so I can point out the smell and/or idle. The dealership will pay for any repairs as long as its within 30 days of purchase, which tomorrow is.