Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is it the tumbler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreaducky is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it the tumbler?

My 2007 Civic key won't turn in the ignition. Steering wheel is loose, not locked (jiggling does nothing), and the key will slide in and out freely. It had been a bit sticky putting the key in for a day or two and now it's not sticky anymore, but completely locked up. Is there a sneaky honda trick to this?!
Old 07-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it the tumbler?

Got a bunch of miles?

Does the key still go ALL the way in? If there is an obstruction that stops the key from being fully inserted......(Got kids?)

Chances are good that the tumblers are worn and the cylinder needs pulled out and retumbled. COULD have a worn key too.

Problem is, the dealer is likely to be the only place you have any chance of getting this done, and even then there has to be someone that can actually do it there. There is not really a published procedure for doing the column locks, but there is a published procedure for door cylinders.
(I'm the only one in my dealership that willingly retumbles these column locks.)

If they don't have someone that can do it, or aren't knowledgeable about what needs to be done, they may try to sell you a whole new column lock, with 2 new keys, and the programming necessary to make new keys work.

Our local lock shops do not have tumblers for Hondas Sidewinder locks, the dealer is the only game in town.
Our local lock shop can remove the offending tumbler(s) though.

I'd suggest you make phone calls to lock shops and dealers to see who sounds like they know what they are doing.

IF you can get the column lock off of the steering column and carry it in to the shop, the price should be much better, labor-wise. A lock shop will probably be cheaper than the dealer, IF they can do it.
Old 07-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreaducky is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it the tumbler?

Awesome, very helpful! Thank you so much!