Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 LX Compressor replacement Questions? plus a story? :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abarri01 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 LX Compressor replacement Questions? plus a story? :)

Hello,

In advanced thank you for taking your time to help me, any tips greatly appreciated.

Story_
So i went in to oriely's and bought my self some r134a can of refrigerant and thought... ok ill just pump a little because ever since we bought this car we never have put any in it. The problem i had was that when ever we were off the freeway and not going over 40+ miles ac blew warm air. I ended up putting like 6 or 7 2second pumps into my ac since my wife kept telling me it wasn't cold enough... I knew i shouldn't put too much but I gave into my wife's nagging ... soo here I am.

Diagnosis_
I turn the car on with the ac on full blast compressor doesn't engage.

Went to pepboys so they can run diagnosis with the equipment cost me 50 bucks.. to tell me compressor was bad which i had already guessed it but whatever.

Plan_
Replace ac compressor, drier/ accumulator, and the expansion valve by my self and do what ever i have to do through the shop.

I also before knowing it was illegal to dump out r134a into the air released most of it because i wanted the compressor to magically turn back on of course it didn't.

Questions_
What happens when you over charge your ac system with r134a that causes the compressor to bust/Stop working? Any magic Fixes?

Did i waste 50 bucks?

***How do i know if i have to flush my ac system and also how do i do that? cant find any good info anywhere about this. Also at pepboys they said they supposedly put in UV dye to check for leaks does this have to be flushed out?***

When i let the rest of the r134a coolant out through low pressure side am i ready to start taking stuff apart or is the high pressure side have to also be messed with?

Can i Rent a Vacuum pump at autozone?

Can I Rent the PSI measuring gauges with the high pressure and low pressure sides?

Any other tips and recommendations welcome.

P.S. I am trying to aviod taking it to a mechanic all together Just paid my debt to go back to school and paid for my tuition out of pocket so im broke plus my wife lost her phone another 100 bucks to replace....Pepboys asked for 1150 to fix it which i laughed as the guy pointed me to where i can set up a payment plan... Soo im at your guyses mercy
Old 06-23-2013
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 LX Compressor replacement Questions? plus a story? :)

Chances are you put too much refrigerant into the system. Overcharging the system is dangerous because it can kill your compressor.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7180452AAAK51u

There could have been a few reasons why your car was blowing warm air at lower speeds. Did you notice if you heard the cooling fan engage when you turned the a/c on?