Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

09 lx-s motor flooding with gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsxdts is an unknown quantity at this point
09 lx-s motor flooding with gas

i have a 09 civic lx-s. i bought it when it had 15k miles, ran amazing until 35k. one morning it didnt want to start. i forced it to start but it had trouble keeping it running, kept forcing it and finally ran good after starting it for 5-10 mins. after it ran for a while i would shut it off and start with no problem right away. check engine light went on, multiple spark plugs misfiring. swapped the plugs and did the same still. brought it to the dealer and they never heard of this. so they ran diagnostics and sparks misfiring again. they changed them again and still same issue. they thought it was ECM, put a new one in and still the same issue. so they put my old one in since it wasnt it. they said that the flue keeps flooding the motor and the fuel is not shutting off and over night it builds up and cant start and when i start it, it burns off when i force it. thats why its hard to start in the mornings since its not running over night and easy to start after i force it. so they gave up, told me to get my car since they cant figure it out.... please help!
Old 03-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 09 lx-s motor flooding with gas

they said that the flue keeps flooding the motor and the fuel is not shutting off and over night it builds up and cant start and when i start it, it burns off when i force it. thats why its hard to start in the mornings since its not running over night and easy to start after i force it.
Wow. Um, wow.

OK
Sounds like either it is something you are doing, or you need a better dealer with smarter employees.

Sounds like engine is flooded with fuel.
Is the battery good? Cranks nice and fast?
Is the gas good? Not months old gas?

It is easy to flood almost any engine if you start it up and move it 20 feet, then shut it off. (Like moving one car out of the driveway to let another car out.)
Could this be your case?
(Fix: Stop doing that!)

If the engine floods, push the gas pedal to the floor while you crank it. Hopefully this can help dry the plugs and get it to run again.

We deal with this a lot with new cars in the winter, sales department plays "parking lot rodeo" and usually floods at least a few of them. Flooded, dead batteries, and out of gas. Not all the cars, but some of them. Every time.

The engine needs to reach operating temperature in order to keep it from "loading up" with carbon and gas. Meaning you need to DRIVE it and get it all warmed up before you shut it off again.

Got any more info, more to the story?
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsxdts is an unknown quantity at this point

It pumps fuel constently in the motor... something is wrong with the car... after I force it to start, it start s fine... like something is not letting the fuel stop pumping. I broght it to a mechanic and he is one of the best in town and he is still trying to find what keeps it flooding and he has been looking for 3 days.....
Old 03-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't answer this...Did you do this?
if you start it up and move it 20 feet, then shut it off. (Like moving one car out of the driveway to let another car out.)
Originally Posted by rsxdts
It pumps fuel constently in the motor... something is wrong with the car... after I force it to start, it start s fine... like something is not letting the fuel stop pumping.
Your battery would be dead if the fuel pump was running all night. It isn't.

I broght it to a mechanic and he is one of the best in town and he is still trying to find what keeps it flooding and he has been looking for 3 days.....
I don't care how good anyone is. If they aren't properly equipped and tooled to deal with these cars, he's probably not going to figure out much.

I can look like a smart **** as long as I have the right equipment. Give me a car with a problem that I'm not equipped to deal with and I can look like I should just change the oil.

Does the engine have proper (full) power once it runs?