Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 replacment of fluids questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
houdini1313 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 replacment of fluids questions

Hey all,

I have a 2006 Civic LX coupe (89,000 miles) and have recently been looking around online for tips/ways to keep my car running well and efficiently. I've replaced some filters (cabin and engine) and recently replaced my headlights, but have never done anything with the fluids (brake, power steering, engine coolant, etc) I've checked some levels and I need to more brake, power steering, and engine coolant.

My question is which of this can I do myself (and obviously cheaper) and how? I want to use the right products and right methods so I don't mess anything up on a car that runs very well despite this slight neglect!

Also, I have read that the transmission fluids should be changed too, should this be done by a pro?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 replacment of fluids questions

Fluids are easy.
If you can change your oil and filter, you can change the trans fluid.
Automatic trans? Simple drain and fill. (Never let a JizzyLube place do any kind of flush machine on your trans. Ever. Honda has their own special procedure for flushing it if necessary.)

Coolant is simple drain and fill, and burp the air.
PS fluid, suck it out or pull the return hose off to drain the reservoir.
Brake fluid flush is a bit more work.

Brake fluid is common DOT3
ATF, coolant, and P/S fluids I'd recommend get genuine Honda stuff from a dealer.

Get a service manual if you need one.
Youtube can be your friend.
Old 03-19-2013
Registered!!

arod1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not difficult thing to do. I just google it and I found good guides including videos.
Old 03-31-2013
Registered!!

normaltype is an unknown quantity at this point

my 2 cents.

My 2008 DX says change brake fluid every 30,000kms (25000 miles). First coolant change at maintenance code-5 or 10 years whichever comes first and every 5 years after.

Lots of arguements about genuine honda fluids or aftermarket but I couldn't find any specific examples of someone using the correct aftermarket fluid and having problems. Just a lot of rumor and speculation, likely resulting from cases where the wrong type or bad/cheap fluid was used.

If you are worried about warranty then use Honda fluids.

Only fluid I would recomend to go genuine honda is probably coolant (but I haven't researched this extensively yet). Everything else just use good quality specified type fluid. Just my opinion. I've read a lot of posts from owners using aftermarket fluids without issue (trans, PS, brake, engine fluids).

I have also read (maybe rumor, maybe fact IDK for sure) that Honda dealers typically don't use Honda fluids unless you ask for it or there is no alternative product available. Maybe only some dealers are this way IDK, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they use aftermarket and charge you for genuine honda. Thats what you get when someone else works on your car.....

Don't be afraid to DIY. As long as you research how to do it, don't mind getting a little dirty, have the tools you need, use correct fluids, all fluid changes are relatively simple. Brake fluid change its helpful to have a second person.

My warranty just expired so I just put Prestone DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid in my civic.

In all cases, a 6 pack and good music is highly recommended.

Last edited by normaltype; 03-31-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have also read (maybe rumor, maybe fact IDK for sure) that Honda dealers typically don't use Honda fluids unless you ask for it or there is no alternative product available. Maybe only some dealers are this way IDK, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they use aftermarket and charge you for genuine honda. Thats what you get when someone else works on your car.....
The dealer I work for uses genuine products, PS, ATF, Coolant, CVT (both types), Dual Pump, VTM-4, gear lube, MTF, EIEIO, etc.
Much of this stuff you just can't get at a parts store.

The bulk oil we get is on the Honda program, meaning it is correct and approved and meets all the specs that Honda calls for. It can even come in 55 gallon drums with the Honda label, or on a tanker truck.
If one wants their oil from quart bottles with the Honda label on them, that costs more.

In all cases, a 6 pack and good music is highly recommended.
Beers AFTER the work is done!!!

Lots of arguements about genuine honda fluids or aftermarket but I couldn't find any specific examples of someone using the correct aftermarket fluid and having problems. Just a lot of rumor and speculation,
Wrong ATF, CVT, and Power steering fluids I often see causing problems.
Same for rear diff fluids VTM4 and Dual Pump. Those diffs HATE gear lube.
Same with low quality oil on some engines.