Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Leaking rack 2010 LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Leaking rack 2010 LX

Ezone please help !

I have noticed my power steering fluid is down a small amount recently...I purchased oem fluid but have not added any (when engine is at temp the level is just below full line)

Have looked closely at the dust boot on left side... and I think there is fluid in the boot (dark at bottom) but none leaking out.

I have the car scheduled for inspection with a former top tech at the dealer that now has his own garage.

After reading the service manual I'm getting freaked out by the special tool list (bracket to support motor ?)

My question is... Will this job still be possible for him to perform without the special tools ?? I certainly hope so, this guy is top notch.

Thanks, CW
Old 02-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaking rack 2010 LX

Cakewalk.
No special tools at all, except maybe the one to set the subframe on a trans jack.

Drop subframe with rack attached. Drivetrain will hang by the 2 upper mounts, no problem.
Lower subframe to waist high, change the rack.
Reinstall, re-center the splines for the steering shaft/rack, bleed, align.
(Alignment may only consist of getting the steering wheel straight, if you're lucky.)

You positive you don't want to wait to see how much fluid it uses?
You positive it isn't leaking at the pump, lines, or reservoir?

#14 rack is available as a reman.

You WILL need 2 lockwashers #10
and 2 of the large boot clamps #6

You might want an O ring for the pressure hose fitting at the pump, 91370-SV4-000.

The rest is normally reusable.

Last edited by ezone; 02-20-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

2010 no warranty?
Old 02-21-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I hope i'm wrong. Hoping it is temps affecting level.

Never noticed the PS fluid level changing with temps with this one, or 05.

I have not added any fluid at all...and not a single drop on concrete floor.

My fingers are crossed and I will have it to him at 4pm for diagnostic.

Ezone, Thanks for info on R&R & the PM, this tech is the best....
Old 02-22-2013

All good, he looked it over and said it was dry. May add a little fluid to reservoir to bring it back to upper line when at temp and watch it.

Temps do affect level.

Thanks for all the help.