Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Manual shift issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual shift issues

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Ex. I have a 5 speed tranny and I stopped suddenly behind someone but was only going about 15 mph. When I tried to shift to 1st gear, I was no longer able to. I tried 2nd gear and wasn't able to as well. I am unable to move my shifter all the way to the left to access first and second gear. All it can do is center and move right for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and reverse.

Any ideas?
Old 01-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manual shift issues

Look on top of the transmission where the shifter cables attach.
See if something fell into the cables or levers that is obstructing movement.
Have someone move the shifter while you watch what is going on.
Old 03-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rmspider16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having the EXACT same issue on my 08 Civic LX. I came to a stop, nothing unusual, and the issue started. Its intermittent. All of a sudden it will start working again like normal, no grinding or shift issues at all, then when i start to slow down and put the shifter in neutral, its like a wall prevents me from moving the shifter to the left in neutral. Like the OP, i can only access 3rd, 4th, 5th, and Reverse. I purchased a new set of shift cables and bushings and hope that solves the problem. Please let me know if find out what the issue was!!!! I will do the same!
Old 03-01-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You just... bought.. shifter cables... hoping.. they were going to resolve the issue? Aren't those expensive. Find out what the problem is before you start tossing parts at it. Follow ezones instructions.
Old 03-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
You just... bought.. shifter cables... hoping.. they were going to resolve the issue? Aren't those expensive. Find out what the problem is before you start tossing parts at it.
Stand by for the parts airdrop: