Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

swimming pool in my trunk

Old 12-04-2012
the.mean.supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin Shafer is an unknown quantity at this point
swimming pool in my trunk

After being rear-ended, my trunk floods every time it rains. It gets so bad that the back seats act like a wick, I think, and suck up some of the water. They're soaked, at any rate. Water comes all the way up to the passenger side floorboard, too. I've noticed that the trunk lid is slightly off kilter and I've poured water over it and watched with the backseats down as the water dripped in. There was also a hole where the spare tire bracket is anchored to the trunk floor. This was started by rust and broke free when the car was hit from behind, I believe. I caulked it shut.
So my question is this: Does it sound possible to fix this problem, at least temporarily, by re-aligning the trunk lid? If that doesn't work, how bad of an idea is it to drill a couple small holes in the trunk floor so that the water can drain, allowing the interior to stay dry and mold free (hopefully)? We're already experiencing mold spores, or it smells that way, anyhow. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thx.