Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird clicking noises?

Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahmedmsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird clicking noises?

Ok, I have a 2007 Civic LX 1.8L and about 2 months ago i started hearing a weird/random clicking/tapping noise coming from the engine of the car, it occurs after the engine warms up and its a constant clicking no matter what as long as the engine is running. I took it to two mechanics and honda and all 3 said it sounded like the intake valves were misfiring. i never told any what the others said so all 3 said the exact same thing so i had honda readjust my intake valves and it still did the noise. seems as time goes on the frequency it clicks at is getting faster. And if i turn off the car then start it back up it starts with rapid clicking and sometimes when i hit the gas i get rapid clicking. any idea?
Old 12-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird clicking noises?

I can SOMETIMES notice the purge valve ticking when I sit in a drive-thru (echo off of the wall).

Is your ticking noise constant -- does not vary with engine RPM?
Or does the speed of the noise stay consistent with engine RPM and speed up as you rev the engine up?

Did you SHOW the mechanics which noise you wanted them to chase? If you didn't point it out, then they are all just guessing.

It's not like I can help from where I'm sitting.
Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

it is constant and doesnt vary with the RPM, it may but at higher RPMS i cant really hear it maybe due to the engine noise and wind. and yes to all three mechanics i showed them the exact noise and the speed sometimes varys as in it speeds up when i hit the gas after coming off the highway, getting to a stop (not a full stop) and hitting the gas
Old 01-10-2013
Registered!!

anybody know how to fix it?
Old 01-10-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahmedmsa
anybody know how to fix it?
Not unless you can figure out where the noise is coming from.
You have to be Sherlock Holmes, none of us can play that over the internet.

I asked "Is your ticking noise constant -- does not vary with engine RPM?"
You answered "it is constant and doesnt vary with the RPM"

This tells me it is not directly related to the reciprocating assembly of the engine or transmission. That rules out pistons, crank rods, and valvetrain. Rules out all internal parts of the engine.

So I'm thinking that if the noise is coming from within the engine compartment and not from underneath the car, it will be the purge solenoid, which normally ticks at a constant rate when it operates. It is mounted on the throttle body.
If your complaint actually is verified to be this item, there is nothing you can do about it. It is normal.
If it turns out to be something else, then update the thread.